AVIC411.com

Z120BT Install/Hack question..

Question...I had a car stereo place install my Z120BT stereo. I'm going to do the hack after the fact...I'll move the mute wire over one slot and ground it and the parking brake wire to ground...

So my questions is this...I don't know if the stereo place attached my parking brake wire according to original install instructions..do I just cut that wire and ground it?..or do I leave it how they installed it and ground it?

Thanks in advance!

B.R

Question...I had a car stereo place install my Z120BT stereo. I'm going to do the hack after the fact...I'll move the mute wire over one slot and ground it and the parking brake wire to ground...

So my questions is this...I don't know if the stereo place attached my parking brake wire according to original install instructions..do I just cut that wire and ground it?..or do I leave it how they installed it and ground it?

Thanks in advance!

B.R

If you can use the NAV to enter a destination, search POIs, etc, then they did the normal PB install. You should try is several times and under various conditions to be sure.

But it really doesn't matter. I'd just cut it at a convienent place (allowing enough slack to work with) and splice in a new wire to ground both the PB and Mute. It is very easy to find a ground. Just about any metal that connects to the chassis.

If you can use the NAV to enter a destination, search POIs, etc, then they did the normal PB install. You should try is several times and under various conditions to be sure.

But it really doesn't matter. I'd just cut it at a convienent place (allowing enough slack to work with) and splice in a new wire to ground both the PB and Mute. It is very easy to find a ground. Just about any metal that connects to the chassis.

Thank you...that's what I thought I just wanted to be sure.

Thank you...that's what I thought I just wanted to be sure.

I should of asked - are you sure the installer didn't bypass? My previous answer was really a way to see if the un-bypassed PB wire was actually connected. If you can do all that while not setting the PB, then you are done.

I have a question related to this post. I grounded the parking brake wire. Then I moved the mute wire over. Instead of connecting the mute wire to the black ground wire on the black connector, I loosened a screw on the head unit and tightened the wire there. The body of the head unit should be grounded right? I am still getting the annoying "Incorrect wiring of parking brake detected" message. Now I'm wondering about 3 possible problems:

1. I moved the pin to the wrong position (I moved the pin over, not down).

2. The body of the head unit is actually now grounded.

3. The pin is simply not making contact.

Suggestions?

I have a question related to this post. I grounded the parking brake wire. Then I moved the mute wire over. Instead of connecting the mute wire to the black ground wire on the black connector, I loosened a screw on the head unit and tightened the wire there. The body of the head unit should be grounded right? I am still getting the annoying "Incorrect wiring of parking brake detected" message. Now I'm wondering about 3 possible problems:

1. I moved the pin to the wrong position (I moved the pin over, not down).

2. The body of the head unit is actually now grounded.

3. The pin is simply not making contact.

Suggestions?

Hard to say. 1st I'd make sure the old mute wire is actually grounded to the car chassis. I think your assumption that the HU also is grounded sounds reasonable, but who knows.

I doubt you got the wrong pin, but that is easy to check. Watch the video on Youtube to be sure. Most likely, though, it is #3. That is a common problem. Make sure the moved connector is firmly and completely seated. Also, it is possible you damaged it when you removed it from the Mute position. Might need to solder the conductor.

• 5 months later...

So coming back to this issue and sorry for the late response but I lost my password and I was too lazy to recover it. Anyways, I was able to fix my Z120BT's problem. Turns out that I had the pin in the correct position. The issue was that the pin was not pushed in all the way. I guess I couldn't tell since I was working in the afternoon and I didn't see the pin pushed in all the way in the harness. It was a battle though fixing the issue. Originally I accidentally stripped some of the shielding from the mute cable so I put some heat shrink on it; this is actually what was preventing the wire from pushing in all the way. So I cut some of it back and this time double checked the end of the pin to show at the tip of the harness. In the process I kinda destroyed the harness but it still works!

Thanks guys!