AVIC411.com

Z1 install 2003 F-150 Super Crew

Am still waiting for this to come in and already have all of the components, Sirius, bluetooth, iPod but no Z1 and I already read about the unfortunate issues. Just looking for any information or help for installing this HU. Never instaled a NAV unit before and wonder if I need the double DIN install kit from Pioneer and what aftermarket harness is best. Thanks for any help

It's a pretty easy install, the only slightly tricky part is mounting the unit. The 99-5805 metra kit will help you a bit as far as making it sit where it needs to. The harness for the truck is 70-1771. Your vss wire is gray/black in the secondary harness pictured in this post.

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Reverse is black/pink in the drivers kick panel.

Have fun and happy installing.

Thanks for the info although the imagshack photos do not come up. Also would it be the Metra kit 99-5804 because there is no 99-5805? Hopefully I actually get my Z1 before next christmas since I already have the extra components!

Crap, I already orderd the 5804, oh well I will just sell on Ebay and order the right one. Still no ETA for arrival on my Z1 anyway so I have nothing but time. Hopefully the powersellersnyc.com site pans out that was on a previous link because I can't wait much longer from my current seller.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got it (Z1), the last one on Ebay where a seller actually physically had it in his possession. Anyway it is not installed yet but I did mount the iPod and Sirius in the center console where the factory CD changer would be (pictures to come). This seems to be a pretty good location since it is not visible and there is plenty of room. Now the GPS antenna I read does NOT need to be in view but can be hidden away correct? Also for the Sirius antenna does anyone have any recomendations for the placement. My current portable unit I just run through the sun roof but I hate that thing scrathcing my paint. Any suggestions on where and how to install this out of sight or at least off of my paint? I appreciate any help or links anybody has for me.

Thank You

I have almost everything wired up except the parking brake wire and the reverse sensor wire. Does anyone know where these are in my truck? I tried powering up my Z1 but got nothing so I am assuming it is because of that parking brake sensor wire not being connected. Also the Z1 doesn't fit in the slot which obviously means I need to cut somewhere, top or bottom, any suggestions since the climate control is near the bottom? You guy's have been great so far and I appreciate any more help/advice. Thanks

Oh yeah, any suggestions for the rear view camera? I can't find a nice spot anywhere that fits.

I have almost everything wired up except the parking brake wire and the reverse sensor wire. Does anyone know where these are in my truck? I tried powering up my Z1 but got nothing so I am assuming it is because of that parking brake sensor wire not being connected. Also the Z1 doesn't fit in the slot which obviously means I need to cut somewhere, top or bottom, any suggestions since the climate control is near the bottom? You guy's have been great so far and I appreciate any more help/advice. Thanks

Oh yeah, any suggestions for the rear view camera? I can't find a nice spot anywhere that fits.

What to cut, I don't remember been a long time. If the avic isn't powering up, then you have a blown fuse in the truck. It should power up even with those wires not connected.

Reverse is black/pink in the driver's kick harness to the rear. Parking brake I don't remember, it's the only wire coming of the the parking brake switch though.

Do you know where the parking brake switch may be located?, Would it also be in the kick panel? As for the power issue the factory unit powers right up no problems but the Z1 does not. I just tried this again, ALL of the color coded wires are matched up, I used the metra kit and the fuse is still good. Please do not tell me the worse :shock:

all of the pins are fine, I also checked the power and I am showing I have contant and ACC working properly. I did not use the ground on the harness, would that matter? I just wired the stock ground as shown on the metra kit. I tried plugging in the Z1 again and it still does not power up, it should do this automatically correct?