AVIC411.com

Are the Maps/GPS really that bad????

The Nav is okay...not amazing. If you miss a turn, it will tell you to turn down a certain straight...you may think it is rerouting you.

Nope, it wants you turn around and go back to that turn! haha

Even if the road you're trying to go to is straight ahead.

In that sense, it is terrible. It'll have you going in circles.

It's not efficient at all...the routes are usually not that great (roundabout ways).

The POI are great...very up to date. It will get you to where you want to go, just not efficiently.

Yes, initially it will assume you just missed the turn. But if you just ignore the nagging "suggestions" after a mile or so, it will recalulate the route. That might not show up for short routes, but I never use it to go someplace short, or when I actually know the best way. Arguably, that's not what these are designed for. A "local" will always know a better way to get somewhere. I use it to find my way to someplace where I don't know how to get. So I'm not concerned if isn't the optimal route. And if I chose to over-ride it's route, it seems to figure it out and adjust. For long trips, it is a great aide.

Mine has never done some of the crazy illogical things people have mentioned here. But there are always going to be errors in map coding. OK, sometimes it says "slight left turn ahead" when it is just a bend in the road. Big deal. I believe that most of these quirks are errors in the maps, not bugs in the NAV software. Also, due to recent road construction, it will occasionally give erronesous instructions. Like around freeway access ramps. That is unfortunate, but understandable. Yes, the POI are pretty extensive. It often suprises me. However, the VR is often useless in finding a POI. Best to just type in enough of the name to be fairly unique, when hit OK.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. They really are that bad. You're not getting a GPS to take you 15 miles out of your way. You got it to give you the most direct route in compliance with the priorities you've given it, e.g. fastest or shortest route. The z120, anyway, fails miserably at this, regularly taking me routes that are up to an hour out of my way. Awful. If the 2011 map upgrades aren't released soon and fix the routing problem, I think I'm gonna have to sell the old girl.

• 3 weeks later...

racereccgs,

You stated about the "2011 map upgrades". How are owners notified that an upgrade is available? I have had my Z120BT installed since January and I am not sure if the software is outdated or just lacking. When I look for a close ATM, it doesn't show several large banks (i.e. Chase).

Thanks