AVIC411.com

Hi All,

I have been reading up on all of your great posts the last few days since I have ran into trouble with my Pioneer navi.

What started it all was the fact that during CD play and auto recording a message would pop up about the recording not being continuous.

It hicked. So first I suspected the cd itself...but that was ok, I played it without the recording option ( auto rec off ) and nothing happened to it during driving, even the worst pothole could not get it to skip, so the cd drive was ok.

I then though, " oh damn, it's going to be the HDD" So without knowing anything about the internal safety features ( HDD Lock etc ) I took it out and installed it into a USB to IDE Drive.

That did not work. I had a new HDD on the shelf...also IDE with about 120 GB ( all empty ) . I figured the drive was busted so I tried to install the 120 GB. Hardware matched so no problem...I thought.

Bummer.... The install went smoothly but then the dreaded " CANNOT USE HDD" message appeared and since then has never gone away.

I refitted the original drive, same message.

I downloaded and burned the test disc, inserted it, but even that did not start as immediately as i turn on the unit the dreaded message appears and nothing happens then.

I took out the drive and left the CD in the unit. Figured it might start up then, possibly complaining about a missing HDD...

Nope, nothing, only I found out that the radio seems to work when there is no HDD in the unit, but that's all it does.

Can * anyone* please suggest some steps to take to get this thing working again ?

I am at a loss..

Peter

Is there *NOBODY* here that has any similar experiences that can suggest how to solve this ?

Well don't mind....the drive is busted now...so is the new drive I bought, probably due to a faulty 3.5 to 2.5 connector.....Nice :(

I would have tried to offer some suggestions, but when you said the original drive also gave the error, I was at a loss. If you connect the drive incorrectly to the adapter, it will fry the drive electronics...

I would have tried to offer some suggestions, but when you said the original drive also gave the error, I was at a loss. If you connect the drive incorrectly to the adapter, it will fry the drive electronics...

Ah ...there *is* stil someone alive here ;)

Well , what happened is that the original drive would not spin up at all.

the IDE Cables can only be mounted in one way as there is a notch in the IDE adapter, so there is no way to mount it wrong.

I guess the original drive was more " at it's end" then I thought it would be.

The odd thing though was that a new drive would also generate the same error.

Perhaps due to the fact there was no software on that yet ?

Anyway, there is yet another new drive on it's way.

I mean to switch off the ATA PWD lock on that before I use in on the unit. Then load up the image and then see how it goes.

I have 2 images here, one z3 from 2009 and one from 2010. I am not sure which one to pick and if they would be good to use on a european HD1BT/HD3BT. Shouldn't be an issue I think if only the maps match.

Ah ...there *is* stil someone alive here ;)

Well , what happened is that the original drive would not spin up at all.

the IDE Cables can only be mounted in one way as there is a notch in the IDE adapter, so there is no way to mount it wrong.

I guess the original drive was more " at it's end" then I thought it would be.

The odd thing though was that a new drive would also generate the same error.

Perhaps due to the fact there was no software on that yet ?

Anyway, there is yet another new drive on it's way.

I mean to switch off the ATA PWD lock on that before I use in on the unit. Then load up the image and then see how it goes.

I have 2 images here, one z3 from 2009 and one from 2010. I am not sure which one to pick and if they would be good to use on a european HD1BT/HD3BT. Shouldn't be an issue I think if only the maps match.

2010 has newer firmware than 2009. I don't think the Z3 software will work correctly on your HD3 as the hardware is also a bit different. The Radio Tuner is perfect example of the differences. You have nothing to lose, so good luck.

2010 has newer firmware than 2009. I don't think the Z3 software will work correctly on your HD3 as the hardware is also a bit different. The Radio Tuner is perfect example of the differences. You have nothing to lose, so good luck.

And of course you will miss all the European maps.... :?

And of course you will miss all the European maps.... :?

That might be true, yet I still have an original set of discs from the 2008 or 2007 update. On these are european maps. I wonder if overwriting them once the drive is back up and running might be a possibility. I'd have to compare files once I am back up with the set.

If it fails, I'll end up with a working european hd3bt with USA maps. Perhaps anyone would like to buy that then ? lol