AVIC411.com

Navagation SUCKS!

i dont know if this was mentioned already, but doesn't the Navigation re-route you the minute you turn off-course? That happens with my D1 whenever i turn off the current route. So, yes...often times the initial route isn't the one that I would choose, but the minute I go in the wrong direction or turn off-route then it will re-route itself and give me new directions on the different route.

Having used the Pioneer Avic D1 and several portable Garmin units, I have to agree that the routes the Avic provide are not always the most optimum routes. But if the Pioneer gets you from Point A to Point B in unfamiliar territory, then it is doing its job even if it not as graceful as the portable Garmin units.

Unfortunately, when going on day trips with my wife, the Pioneer usually only gets us to within five or six blocks of our destination, while her old Garmin GPS V gets us right to the door step.

Recently, we were looking for a quilt shop out in the country. The Pioneer actually got us quite litteraly lost and when we arrived at our "destination", we were on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. We dug the GPS V out of the trunk and it brought us to the doorstep of the quilt shop. The Pioneer's destination was about 5 km's (3 miles) inaccuate, not to mention, we were not even on the right road.

I think both units should at least get you to the doorstep of your destination even if the routing intelligence is different, and right now Pioneer is seriously lacking in that aspect.

Sometimes the Pioneer does it job and gets to where we want to be, even if I may sometimes disagree with its route choice, but if I don't know where I'm going to start with, I am happy it got me there.

The main difference between Pioneer and Garmin is the mapset. Since the Pioneer sometimes works and sometimes doesn't while I have never had a problem with any of my Garmins, I suspect it is the mapset that is the weak link in the Pioneer and not necessarily the routing intelligence.

I have heard rumours and I don't know if they are true or not, but the Spring 2007 map update for Pioneer will be based on NavTech maps instead of TeleAtlas. If that is true, then many of these issues may suddenly get resolved.

Unfortunately, if it is true, it will likely cost us hundreds of dollars to move to these new mapsets, but it will still be cheaper than replacing an otherwise nice unit already installed in our vehicles.

I'm planning a trip to montreal with several of my friends. Mapquest told me it was going to be 420 miles. I plugged it into my N3 and it gave me 300, so I'm happy with the N3.
OK, good luck, I wish the best for you! But the fact the Pioneer has mismanaged your trip to that degree should tell you something. :roll: