AVIC411.com

Best backup camera for around $50?

I know most of the good ones go for $80+ but I would like to get something for less than $50, ebay most likely, used or new does not matter to me. What should i look for as far as features, specs?

Thanks

With all due respect, don't waste your money for any cam <$50, new or used. You will regret buying and installing something that is junk.

honestly, if you want to buy a cheap camera, just buy the cheapest cam the you can possibly buy. just about every bargin cam is going to be all the same. so just save as much as you can and when it fails you can just scoop up another one.

I have been very happy with the 'Advent' CAM330 CarToys installed for 99 bucks.

It puts out a clear image in all light conditions and has a 160 degree field of view. The case is very well contructed (ie rugged, waterproof, with an adjustable mount) A nice bonus is that is pretty small, so it's barely noticable on the back of my truck.

IMHO one of the main things you'll want to look for is a wide field of view. My factory Acura cam has an almost 180 degree field of view which makes backing up in that car noticably easier than in the truck- just a heads up.

More info

http://www.voxxsupport.com/images/User%20Manuals%20-%20FAQ's/CAM330.pdf

Picture (not my Ford GT though- lol

http://s588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/Allen_English/My%20Back%20Up%20Camera%20System/?action=view&current=022010BackUpCamera_06172010.jpg&currenttag=Camera%20Backup%20Camera#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs588.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss322%2FAllen_English%2FMy%2520Back%2520Up%2520Camera%2520System%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D032010BackUpCamera_06172010.jpg%26currenttag%3DCamera%20Backup%20Camera

• 1 month later...

Well I can tell you don't bother with the cheap cameras on EBay, as VBLUE predicted the one I bought died within 3 months like clockwork. Best Buy has a "high definition" wired cam from Audioox for $79, the sales guy told me that they must have just lowered it since it was $119 the other day and this was a regular price not sale price. I bought it, hooked it up, and it's pretty decent. It has a fish-eye thing going on though which I'm not a fan of, but I'm guessing that's so you can get the wide angle view.

-Keith

the audiovox camera isnt too bad, its the one that i have, but it has had to be replaced once already (within one year so it was covered under warranty) the biggest issue i had with it was that all of the hardware rusted (little screws that allow it to be adjusted) so the second time i took the screws off and gave them a few heavy coats of clearcoat, no more problem so far going on a year and a half.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

use locking bolts, fasteners like security torx, are very hard to remove without the right tool. also most thieves wont steal something that they cant sell, and seeing how with most cameras they wont be able to remove the wiring that is ran through the car, they are pretty much useless to them with cut wires.