AVIC411.com

Z1 in a 2007 F-250

I've been reading quite a few posts here about the Z1 and I'm about to take the plunge. I'd like to know if its something an average guy with mechanical skills and electronic skills can do? I don't have any special tooks to open up the dash or the instrument panels. Can someone point me in the right direction? What and where would I find the necessary trim and removal tools?

I figure to go with the Z1, XM Radio (no traffic), bluetooth, and the flasher mod. I want to be able to play DVDs going down the road on the HU and change NAV destinations on the fly. So, I think the flash mod will do the trick, assuming I have the right build date on the unit.

Anything else I need? I've tried to find a specific thread to the F-250s but didn't find one here. Did find some messages on a F250 install. Is there one thread that takes you through the entire install? Estimated time to install?

I am also an educated software engineer and will be looking to make changes to the operation once I get it up and running. What are folks using to connect to the Z1 using a laptop? Is there a serial port or a USB port on it? I haven't seen it mentioned but may not have looked at enough posts.

Thanks!

John Hagen

In a F250, it's absolutely something you can do even if you've never installed a car stereo. There is a bolt in dash kit available that makes the install about a 2 hour project if you don't have amps or other accessories. I used a Scosche FD1426B kit in my cousin's 05 F250, and I believe there is a Metra equal to it. Taking the dash apart is easy in your truck. The dash trim from the instrument panel all the way to the radio just snaps off. You just have to pull it straight back, unplug the wire harnesses, and wiggle it around until it clears the steering wheel and gear selector. If you order from Crutchfield, they'll give you the dash kit, harness, and a full set of instructions on how to install specific to your truck. They are a bit more expensive, but they are great to deal with and have tech support there to help you. I'd definitely recommend them for someone inexperienced. The only problem is they're out of the Z1 right now, as is almost everyone else out there.

You probably won't find a pre July Z1, so the flasher mod won't be for you. You'll use the 2 wire ground mod which is detailed very clearly at http://www.sminntech.com/ .

On the hard drive backup/hacking, just read the Z1 hacking forum here. There's tons of info how to unlock your drive, back it up, change backgrounds, etc. All you need is a laptop IDE to standard IDE adapter for the connectivity. As for app area hacking, nobody has gotten very far with that. From the limited playing I've done myself, I'd say we need to get a viable JTAG going and dump the firmware as a first step. I haven't had a lot of time to read lately, though. Maybe somebody already figured that out...

Taking the dash apart is easy in your truck. The dash trim from the instrument panel all the way to the radio just snaps off. You just have to pull it straight back, unplug the wire harnesses, and wiggle it around until it clears the steering wheel and gear selector.

I didn't even take the dash panel all the way off... I dropped the gear selector into first and tilted the steering wheel all the way. Then disconnected the 2 connectors on the left of the steering wheel (just headlights and interior light controls on my truck) and then lifted the dash over the steering wheel and rested it partially on the steering column.

It would give you more room to work if you disconnect all of the switches and pull the dash cover out of the truck but I didn't feel it was worth disconnecting all the other cables.

I've had the unit out about 4 times now (added camera, ipod interface, extended the AV inputs and outputs to the driver side "glove box", and added the bypass) and can easily rip apart the dash, remove the unit and have it back in in under an hour now :)

The first time took a while, especially if you count preparing the wiring harness and stuff inside but it is definately do-able and not hard to do.

(This is on an '06 F250 xlt)

I agree with the post above. Easy install, get the wiring harness adapter and the mounting kit for the truck. Circuit City sale both. Make sure they know you are installing the Z1, the mounting kit is different, cost about $25.00. I went ahead and put 12vdc under the passange seat and a link cable, makes easy to add stuff to the unit without constent dash removal.

Thanks to all who have responded. I stopped by a local audio shop in town. They had a Z1 available for install. Wanted $2200 for the Z1 and install. Not a chance...

I have since purchased the following online from various sources:

Z1 (1925 w/3 yr warranty)

iPod interface (40)

XM w/Traffic (160)

Steering wheel interface (47)

dash kit (15)

radio antenna L segment (13)

Pioneer rear view camera (177)

Bluetooth (90)

Ford wire harness (10)

Prices in parens.

Hopefully I got everything. I asked Crutchfield about special tools to pull the dash or the OEM stereo. Was told the dash just pops out as does the radio. Anyone know any different? Supposedly this is a change for the 2007 model year. May have to secure the radio if its that easy to steal :shock:

Plan on mounting the XM and GPS antenna inside, lower part of windshield. Have an XM antenna there now and works 99% of time. Nothing ugly on the outside. Comments or suggestions?

Any other tips? Anyone have pictures that are available of their Ford pickup installs? If so, can you provide a link or send to my hotmail account? My account is johnwhagen and add the hotmail dot com to it.

Thanks again!!

John