AVIC411.com

Factory Disabled 12/06 Z1 Bypass?,...Please read and reply

Hey Guys, Did a lot of reading and tweeking on the bypass, mods, etc. Just got home with my Z1, (ya, can you believe I found one?) Build date is 12/06. The connector for the ground bypass next to the antenna wire does NOT have a metal tang that would connect to the radio to effectively ground that pin. Anyone else runn across this? I will try to fab something up and re-post my install conclusions. DucatiBoy,...help meeeeee,.....j/k

I may need some advice in a little while, for now, I'll run the pre amp wires, and get it prepped and check back in a bit. Thanks guys. :shock:

post up a picture of the connector that you are talking about

It is the one that IS posted above, only thing is the metal band with the tabs connection stops at the last 4 pins,......I am going to try and just solder the tip in a "y" fashion or something to act as a receiver for the radio pin,.....any other suggestions, please post, this might be new for the Z2's as well

The connector for the ground bypass next to the antenna wire does NOT have a metal tang that would connect to the radio to effectively ground that pin.
Yes, That is correct, there is no female slot when it goes into the radio, it is only plastic. if you are looking at the top of the connector the connection band stops at the last 4 pins.
It is the one that IS posted above, only thing is the metal band with the tabs connection stops at the last 4 pins,

I don't mean to be a smart ass, but I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing what you are seeing from these descriptions.

It should look like that connector, only with that wire on the bottom right not there. There should be 4 holes, not the 3 pictured. The only "metal" in that connector is the terminals crimped on the end of each wire and then inserted into each hole. Things like "the connection band" have me confused. I'm not trying to make fun of you because I sometimes have the descriptive powers of a 4 year old (lots of "thingies" and "whatch-a-macallits"). A picture would help.

I am going to try and just solder the tip in a "y" fashion or something to act as a receiver for the radio pin,.....any other suggestions, please post, this might be new for the Z2's as well

I would highly suggest taking a picture of what you are seeing and post it, if you can't post it you can email me a copy of it at one of my emails here: http://www.sminntech.com/contact.html and I will post a pic so people can see it. But if they changed something we would like to see what is up. I know if there is something different people are going to start asking me for information that's for sure.

The connector for the ground bypass next to the antenna wire does NOT have a metal tang that would connect to the radio to effectively ground that pin.
Yes, That is correct, there is no female slot when it goes into the radio, it is only plastic. if you are looking at the top of the connector the connection band stops at the last 4 pins.
It is the one that IS posted above, only thing is the metal band with the tabs connection stops at the last 4 pins,

I don't mean to be a smart ass, but I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing what you are seeing from these descriptions.

It should look like that connector, only with that wire on the bottom right not there. There should be 4 holes, not the 3 pictured. The only "metal" in that connector is the terminals crimped on the end of each wire and then inserted into each hole. Things like "the connection band" have me confused. I'm not trying to make fun of you because I sometimes have the descriptive powers of a 4 year old (lots of "thingies" and "whatch-a-macallits"). A picture would help.

I am going to try and just solder the tip in a "y" fashion or something to act as a receiver for the radio pin,.....any other suggestions, please post, this might be new for the Z2's as well

I would highly suggest taking a picture of what you are seeing and post it, if you can't post it you can email me a copy of it at one of my emails here: http://www.sminntech.com/contact.html and I will post a pic so people can see it. But if they changed something we would like to see what is up. I know if there is something different people are going to start asking me for information that's for sure.

No offense taken D- OK, start here, you are holding the connector in your hand,.....the female metal band that is attached to the plastic connector so that the wiring ACTUALLY connects to the pins on the radio,..are ya with me so far? The connector is essentially 2 pieces, 1 plastic and 1 formed metal band to create the female connectors, (tabs as you call them) for the pin assembly on the back of the radio, this metal piece does NOT allow a connection to the radio in the last 4 holes as in your pic. Sorry guys, my truck is apart in the driveway and I live near a highschool,....I promise I will post a pic soon if need be.This is where my trouble lies, I can not just simply push the wire in and make a "solid" connection, unless of course ALL the connectors came this way and everyone is simply relying on a press fit installation. I have a 4wd and I'm sure the bumping around will loosen this connection unless there is a mod to make it permanent

As long as the pin exists in the socket on the Z1 chassis, the unit can be bypassed. You need to take an unused wire (with the metal pin band thingie) and insert it into the plug that has all the other wires on it in the specified location.

My unit was 12/06 and my installer was able to bypass it.

Ya, I figured it could be, this post was just to see if Pioneer was up to something by removing the easy connection in the connector harness.

I know I can bypass this connector pin, in fact I made a simple mod for the connector and it is a solid connection. On Ducati's site where he mentions how to bypass, the terminology used is to remove the "wire", and ground the "wire". That is fine if the connector had a female slot, but mine does not. I'm sure a lot of you are rolling your eyes, saying, "Another newbie startin' some Sh*t,..not the case all,....I'm very familiar with wiring solutions, it's what I do for a living and I wanted to share something I thought might be an issue and try to be of service, That's all, Steve

As long as the pin exists in the socket on the Z1 chassis, the unit can be bypassed. You need to take an unused wire (with the metal pin band thingie) and insert it into the plug that has all the other wires on it in the specified location.

The metal band thingy is a 1 piece unit and can not be taken apart, unless someone has a tremendous amount of time on their hands,.....

Look fellas, it's not as simple as it sounds,......I will post my before and after pics, and I'm sure some of you will go,.."Oh, THAT's what was missing,...... :D

The metal band thingy is a 1 piece unit and can not be taken apart, unless someone has a tremendous amount of time on their hands,.....

Look fellas, it's not as simple as it sounds,......I will post my before and after pics, and I'm sure some of you will go,.."Oh, THAT's what was missing,...... :D

The metal "band thingie" is a "terminal" and it's a single piece and it's crimped to the end of each wire. You are right, you would not want to take that apart and you don't need to. To make the connector 2 (as shown in that picture).... that terminal is inserted into the plastic housing of the connector and the plastic is formed in such a way so that a "tang" or "tab" sticking up on one side of the terminal snaps into place holding the terminal and wire into the plastic connector. This gives the plastic connector a "female" hole to accept the pin on the radio itself. Both the terminal and the hole in the plastic connector are "square" and can accept the terminal in 4 possible orientations, only one will allow it to "snap" into place.

To remove the wire with the terminal still attached out of a connector, there is a white plastic "arm" that is flexible on the top and bottom of the plastic connector, one for each wire. That plastic has to be flexed up to allow easy removal of the wire and attached terminal.

I think half of our problem here is incompatible terminology. travelboysteve, I'm not trying to say you don't know what you are doing or anything like that, and don't get too annoyed with anything else posted (if you happen to take things wrong or something like that). I would really like to figure out your issue, for myself, cause if this is some new thing pioneer is doing, I'm going to get emails and PM's and would really like to understand this before that happens.

Sorry Guys, False Alarm,..Ducatiboy,....Thanks for that,......after exploring the connector,....you are correct,...The female tabs are crimped to the wires, and after I disassembled one of the wires, (guide), I carefully took it out and have the female piece attached. Sorry about all this,......I thought for a minute Pioneer was trying to alleviate yet another one of your brilliant bypass mods,.......I over thought the process in your instructions assuming the connection tab was part of the plastic connector. SO,....for all the other dunderheads out there, to clarify a bit more, when you remove the wires you intend to ground, ensure the metal tab is still attached to the wire by following Ducatboy's fabulous instructions WHICH WORK PERFECTLY SO DON'T PM HIM PLEASE,...I'm now bowing in shame,..........