AVIC411.com

AppRadio and the iPhone 3GS

My main question is simply, is there a workaround for getting this to work with iPhone 3GS?

I know the radio and ipod functions work, I'm looking to use apps (mainly navigation) and the phone function.

I'd also like to know:

- What difference is in the iPhone 3GS from the iPhone 4 that prevents it from working with the deck?

- What are people's opinions on the chances this deck will be compatible with an iPhone 5?

There is most likely no workaround to get apps working on the 3GS. Not sure what the technical difference is though.

"Not all devices support external displays. Currently, external displays are supported by iPhone and iPod touch devices with Retina displays and iPad. Older devices, such as the iPhone 3GS do not support external displays."

Source: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#DOCUMENTATION/UIKit/Reference/UIScreen_Class/Reference/UIScreen.html

There is most likely no workaround to get apps working on the 3GS. Not sure what the technical difference is though.

"Not all devices support external displays. Currently, external displays are supported by iPhone and iPod touch devices with Retina displays and iPad. Older devices, such as the iPhone 3GS do not support external displays."

Source: https://developer.ap...e/UIScreen.html

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to know. =)

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I can confirm that the iPhone 3GS does work with the AppRadio 1 (SPH-DA01). My device is running 6.1 with AppRadio Extensions beta 2.0.1-450. The trick is to install another tweak called Resupported to enable the video signal to be sent to the AppRadio.

I'm still testing this but so far almost everything works great (GPS apps, compatible & non compatible apps) except for one issue that I'm trying to work on. When in mirror mode the 3GS screen is centered and doesn't fill the screen (appears to only be using about half of the available screen resolution). I presume this is because the 3GS has a landscape screen resolution of 480x320 and the AppRadio's screen is 840x480.  I'm curious if there is way to manually specify the output resolution for mirroring.

Mike, which tweak are you using for Video Out? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks for breathing new life into this otherwise useless head unit.

-M