AVIC411.com

Just upgraded to Z140BH from X920bt (Which had 2011 update installed)

Well Overall im pretty happy I do like the bigger more clear display but with the X920bt having all the features of the X930bt, the Z140BH here is is all I noticed different:

Overall same look at and feel and speed is identical to x920bt

Screen is much clearer

The app radio (advanced app mode) is pretty much a joke, its buggy slow and pretty much worthless.

Has same aha and pandora interface

Has built in HD radio tuner which is pretty cool. I do notice a difference in clarity.

Regarding connections and cables:

Uses the same power harness so I didn't have to swap that out

Uses the same USB cable as x920bt so didnt have to buy a new one

Uses the same GPS antenna and connection so I didn't have to mess with that

Uses the same MiC

The pioneer pac steering wheel control was identical so no reprogramming just plugged it in to the wired remote.

Bypass is exactly the same as Z130BT move yellow mute cable from bottom to top hole above where it is now. Ground the parking break, new placement of mute wire and ground cable together.

I am let down and disappointed by the following compared to the x920bt

No voice recognition for address and POI

the voice tts prompts for navigation is really bad, the voice is not nearly as smooth and fluid as the unit from 2010, I mean what is up with that? Back to Avic d3 days I guess.

In regards to the maps again it is nice to have some newer updated maps that actually has my house built in 2010. It definitely does want to route me all over the place differently then the older maps. Not sure if thats good or bad just different.

I mean really the advanced app mode, if that's all you get with the app radio its not wonder the scathing reviews, I mean its just awful. I have an iphone 4s. Motionx requires a 25 dollar upgrade fee to use on the appradio?

Anyway that's my initial thoughts, after a few years with the existing x920bt model using it with the 3.0 upgrade there is really no difference other then the advanced app mode and the new navteq maps. No voice address features, so I guess im just happy with the nicer screen I guess. I mean really I didn't use the address entrance features all that much but still it does suck to lose features. I wonder why they removed it.

Yes my x920bt was running the 2011 upgrade so it had all the features of x930bt upgraded that unit with with the z140bh. Which is running 4.0 software.

Guess I could just return the z140. Basically same thing and is the extra screen space worth the grand I dropped? I'm sure the paid update this year will once again add all the same features since everything is still the same for the most part on the new unit.

I guess the best of both worlds ( big screen and same features while retaining voice commands for address ) would be getting a z120bt and getting all the paid updates. I guess it comes down to just how much all thats worth.

It really is sad that their are actually regressing over time with features. And then adding weird features half assed Have you guys used advanced app mode? I played with it for 5 mins and see really no use, plus it was crashing the app, its slow and required multiple careful swipes accross the screen to get the icons to move, there was a total of 21 apps supported, (most of those are navigation apps for different countries). As far as the map poi search feature I fail to see how that is any better then using your iphone which is right there, fast, easy to use etc.

I guess I am just disappointed, have we come as far as we can with Pioneer? Or are we just very spoiled with the iphone. Perhaps that would be a better option, get a radio that uses the iphone itself as the interface, or better yet an Ipad, wow. The ultimate car stereo all in one unit, fast, LTE internet, huge 10 inch screen, GPS.

I think ill be heading to google to see if there is such a thing yet, ha. Damn apple, screwing every other company with their quality easy to use full featured products making everyone else in electronics look bad.

or better yet an Ipad, wow. The ultimate car stereo all in one unit.

Have had an iPad in the dash for over a year now and haven't looked back. Once you go with some type of tablet install you really see how horrible these head units really are. I have everything I could possibly want and it all works well with nearly no limitations that I have run into or that I can think of.

Have had an iPad in the dash for over a year now and haven't looked back. Once you go with some type of tablet install you really see how horrible these head units really are.

After reading so many negative feedbacks on the best unit from Pio Im thinking maybe it was a mistake for me to upgrade from x910bt to z140bh. I just oredered it on sat from ebay for $950. But x910 was lagging so much especially when I was installing map mods. When updated maps to '11 it was really slow so not enough space to fit all the states. Some car manufactures offer a music storage on their drives so why Pio can not offer the same to keep up with them? Tablet is really not a bad idea. Not a huge fan of apple but ipad probably would do anything I want in the car.

Well I would always recommend the iPad over any other device but you dont have to use an iPad. Any of the more popular or better tablets should do wonders over any of the head units out on the market now. You can take pretty much the same money you spend on the head unit and invest it into a fabricated dash piece to hold the iPad/tablet and an amp and set to go. You can even do it without a head unit at all.

I upgraded from an Pioneer AVIC-Z3 (actually a Z1 that was upgraded to Z2 then Z3) to the AVIC-Z140BH and I have some gripes. Amazing that my 2006 NAV unit I think has some things it does better than the 2012 one. How is this possible? :)

I have yet to really play a ton with the 140, so maybe I am wrong, but we'll see.

1. No mute button for the nav voice (the woman) on the main navigation screen. On my Z3 I could tap it with one finger and she would shut up, or turn her on. Now I have to go to Volume settings, then Mute/Un-mute her.

2. Cannot pick lots of detailed POI to display on my map. With my Z3 I picked only Bank of America to display, then specific Fast Food locations I liked, all USPS locations, golf courses, etc. etc. With the 140BH I started selecting a few then it told me I couldnt select anymore. I didn't total up the #, but it seems maybe 10?

3. Scrolling still isn't smooth. I sure do love my iPhone :)

4. AppRadio seems pretty damn useless. I tested with Inrix traffic and it was not impressive

I do love the iPod interface and Pandora is good too.

I really had myself set on buying Pioneer. The next time I upgrade my NAV, I am think I need to open my mind more to other alternatives in addition to Pioneer.

It has been widely reported here that the navi on all Z1xx/X9xx units is garbage. None of these units should be bought if you want an impressive navi unit.

1. There is a quick options button on the map screen to the right that you can program a "shut up" button to.

2. 10 is the max. Just one of many limitations to the navi on these units.

Thanks for taking the time to give your response. It is of particular concern to me for the following reasons. I currently have the Kenwood 6990 installed and was dismayed to discover I couldn't use the steering wheel buttons to initiate a phone call. That feature is really important to my wife b/c she hates to take her eyes off the road to make a call. The PAC or whatever unit it is will not do that with this unit. So the nice guy at the install shop said the pioneer 140 can in fact do this with the steering wheel module and I can use voice control to do other things like search ipod music etc. Could you please tell me if that is true in your setup? From what you say, that is the only feature I'll be adding other than the larger screen size. I find the garmin to be ok, but not great. But if the 140 can't do this, maybe I should keep the devil I know. I am very interested in your reply. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the reply. At the present, we both have Samsung/androids. Supposedly, this unit now plays nicely with them. With the Kenwood, we have had lots of trouble with the BT phone where the BT signal would come and go. This was especially evident with the use of Pandora. We are almost at the end of our verizon contract and may in fact, switch to the iPhone. On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate your "voice control" experience?