AVIC411.com

Do I need to access my Android at all?

I'm about to install the AppRadio 2 and wondering the best location for the wires that connect the iPod and my EVO 3d phone. I'm hoping to install them in the armrest completely out of the way, but it'd be a pain if I have to use the device itself at any time and would look to install it off the dashboard instead. Does the AppRadio app just sit on the screen with nothing to do?

Assuming you leave the appradio app running, once the phone is plugged in you should not need to use it anymore, so putting it in the armrest would be fine. The only things you may need to do first are enable bluetooth, gps, car keyboard, etc. I've automated mine with the help of tasker to automatically enable bluetooth when it sees a power source, then automatically enable gps, car keyboard when it sees a bluetooth connection to the appradio. With tasker, you can also have it disable all that on disconnect, and on mine, I also have it pause the music player on exit so it doesn't start blaring out my external speaker when I turn the car off.

I chose to keep mine visible so that I can access other features that are not available but still show up on the screen of the AppRadio. I use Trapster so I can run it from the Android and it appears on the Pioneer screen, and I can hear it through the car, but can't be controlled by the AppRadio because it isn't designed for it (hopefully soon). I also like to use Google Play Music which is not supported yet and it contains music that is not stored locally on my phone.

The Android once connected to the cable and bluetooth can be completely independent though, unlike the iPhone it doesn't require you to click on "allow" on the screen when the AppRadio requests something (pain in the A$$) and it doesn't "forget" where it is and get confused like the iOS devices.

I must be missing something. Once I connect the phone via the Pioneer HDMI kit and connect Bluetooth, plus temporarily connect the parking break wire to a ground, I see the phone screen on the AppRadio but I can't touch the screen to control it. I get the red X telling me I can't touch the screen. Any tips?

You need to have the AppRadio App installed on your phone, it will automatically launch once you press the home button on the AppRadio. Once it is launched ONLY apps that are compatible and are listed on the AppRadio screen will allow you full touch access to the controls, all other apps such as You Tube, other apps, built in music players etc will show on the AppRadio screen but will not be controlled by the AppRadio touch screen