AVIC411.com

question about video and sound output

could you pretty pretty please elaborate just a bit?

i have it at the installers shop right now

threw my back out again, gave up on trying to install

they havent ever done a z1, so he didnt know if the unit could do it, is there anything special to be done or just plug the headrest monitors in and its allcontrolled from the z1 and really that simple? :)

It's really easy. The Z1 has outputs for the headrest and headphone system you would hook up. Then in the Z1's main control screen you can choose what's on the rear screen, either the internal dvd drive, an external AV input (xbox, psp, external dvd, etc) or a mirror of what's on the main screen.

ok, the installer is telling me something that doesnt seem right... good grief I wish I could tlak to someone that knew what they were doing..

If I want to listen to the radio and view the navigation and have someone in the back watching and listening to a dvd, can this unit do it?

ok, so he's telling me that in order for someone in the back seat to view and listen to a dvd through headphones, that he has to install another dvd player.

in looking at the instructions and the installation guide, it looks like you can just tell the unit itself to output the dvd video and sound to the rear monitor and you can also jsut use your radio through the car speakers.. is that correct?

hes also telling me he has to peel off the sticker on the unit to do the bypass, which I told him no and gave him the wiring instructions

am i allowed to take more vicodin now?

ok, the installer is telling me something that doesnt seem right... good grief I wish I could tlak to someone that knew what they were doing..

If I want to listen to the radio and view the navigation and have someone in the back watching and listening to a dvd, can this unit do it?

Yes

ok, so he's telling me that in order for someone in the back seat to view and listen to a dvd through headphones, that he has to install another dvd player.

in looking at the instructions and the installation guide, it looks like you can just tell the unit itself to output the dvd video and sound to the rear monitor and you can also jsut use your radio through the car speakers.. is that correct?

Yes

hes also telling me he has to peel off the sticker on the unit to do the bypass, which I told him no and gave him the wiring instructions

You need to find a new installer if he thinks there is a sticker on the Z1. He is just going to screw up your car

Only if you mail me some.

For this to work, all he has to do is wire up the rear monitor output up for video to the monitors and the audio to your headphones. When its installed, hopefully correctly, pop a dvd into your deck and start playing it. Go into the source menu on your deck and where is says rear monitor "mirror," touch it so it instead says DVD. Then you can source to radio and listen to the radio and the Z1 will still send the DVD back to the rear.

no idea what kind of headphone and at this point I'm beyond bewildered

I went over there and he called pioneers dealer support

when I asked the question:

If I want to listen to the radio and view the navigation and have someone in the back watch and listen to the dvd in the z1, can this unit do it?

the tech said no

was this tech wrong also?

I wonder if they aren't making use of the rca connector 2 output and they are trying to run everything off the first output? Is it possible to do that?

Unfortunately the installers english isn't perfect and I can't understand a lot of what he is saying, but his boss is tell me I can't do it either. Damned compressed c4-5 disc

Tell them to read the installation manual. Page 19 is a good start. Tell them to run the yellow cable of the rear monitor out to the yellow input on your monitors. They will need a splitter if you have multiple monitors. Then run the red and white audio of the rear monitor out to the red and white audio RCA input on your headphones

Can you get a different installer? This is not the hardest thing for a professional to do. So, I'm wondering if you are asking for more trouble down the road. Everyone needs a first time to do something, but I don't want someone learning for the first time on my ride and have me pay for it. :-) The installer doesn't speak English very well. He has never done a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 installation before, and he is struggling with the concept of navigation up front with a radio and DVD playing in the back with headphones. I can easily see you being on here in a week or a month from now asking for more help on things that are not right because you went with this installer over someone who knows what they are doing.

No this is not correct. If you wanted to have the rear passengers watch one dvd and the driver watch another DVD then yes, you would need 2 dvd players, the one built in to the Z1 and another dvd player. But if the driver wants anything but DVD (radio, sat, ipod, etc) the rear passenger can watch the built in dvd at the same time without a secondary dvd player.

The rear passenger has the ability to watch:

1. what is on the main Z1 screen (whatever that is)

2. the internal dvd

3. external AV input (game system or another dvd player)

The driver can have anything they want.

That is correct. Then the AV output to the rear monitors will have the DVD video and audio.

No that's for a Avic N3 (maybe an N2). The Z1 is like the D series with the ground wires like you showed the installer.

Maybe you need to give some to the installer, maybe he is already on it, he can supply us with some.

when wiring the audio to the headphones, say wireless, what would the cables connect to?

any examples of hardware would be great

i'm real close to hobbling over to this place and getting my car

no idea what kind of headphone and at this point I'm beyond bewildered

I went over there and he called pioneers dealer support

If I were going to install rear monitors so rear passengers could watch something other than what I was listening to in the front seat (with car speakers)... I would install something like this in the headrests:

http://www.audio-discounters.com/plvs-r7ir.html

It has an IR transmitter and the rear passengers can listen to it with one of these:

http://www.audio-discounters.com/plvw-h5.html

(I have never used this brand, just something that popped up in a google search).

Or if the monitor doesn't have IR transmitter, you can get this:

http://www.audio-discounters.com/plvw-h6.html

Transmitter and headsets.

They also have ones that drop from the ceiling if you don't like the headrest ones.

Either way, the audio and video comes right from RCA jacks in the back of the Z1. It's the AV out wires. These are controlled from the Z1 and can be set to display what I said above. If you take the audio component from that and hook it to something that would transmit the IR for the wireless headsets, then they play the DVD, the video is on the rear monitor and the driver can listen to sat or ipod or FM or something else.

when I asked the question:

If I want to listen to the radio and view the navigation and have someone in the back watch and listen to the dvd in the z1, can this unit do it?

the tech said no

was this tech wrong also?

Sounds like a dumb tech.

I wonder if they aren't making use of the rca connector 2 output and they are trying to run everything off the first output? Is it possible to do that?

I supposed you could try but it seems very wrong. The installation manual is only like 15 pages and full of pictures, it should walk them through any install.

Unfortunately the installers english isn't perfect and I can't understand a lot of what he is saying,

Noooooo.... I don't believe you!

I can't do it either. Damned compressed c4-5 disc

I did something like that about 15 years back (I thought fraternity ice football, full contact football played on a frozen lake after a couple beers sounded like a good idea). I feel for you... that stuff sucks! Many years later and some chiropractic visits seemed to help.