AVIC411.com

F90BT iPod Classic 120GB Issue

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah! That's funny! I'm curious as to why it's not working either. I did indeed do a full restore and and re-sync of all my content. I think I'll try to see if my friends will let me borrow their iPods (at least for a few minutes) to check compatibility. Since I have some free time currently, I'll just go ahead and do another restore and then sync all my music back over again. I'll borrow an iPod or two and see what happens.

Well a curious thing happened today... I read on a website that a gentleman with an f700 head unit was having issues with his iPod and he said that he renamed the name of his iPod (in iTunes) from "his name" to "iPod" and his began working. Thinking of a cheap and hopefully easy fix I changed my iPod's name to "iPod". I took it out to the car this morning and the unit recognized it without disconnecting! Very Weird! I have since turned the car on and off several times with no problems. I haven't put my movies back on it yet, but I'm curious as the length of iPod names that the unit will recognize. I did do a full restore (it being the third restore), I don't think that was the problem. I will post back in a few days giving an update on the situation.

Well never mind. It started disconnecting again. I'm going to do another restore and then connect it again, to see if it'll work properly. It sort of makes me wonder if me playing a different album without the head unit and then connecting back in the car is throwing it off. I'm also running the fx3.1 software on the f90bt... Do you think I should just download the official firmware and install that then?

Yeah. I drove to work today and it worked perfectly. I listened to the iPod a little bit at work (without the car head unit), put the iPod back in the car when leaving work and it kept disconnecting. I did notice that if I had the iPod plugged into the head unit (head unit on) and held down the iPod buttons to reset the iPod, once reset, the head unit would recognize it, but if I changed the song, it would disconnect. Then later if I reset, the unit wouldn't recognize it period... Kinda irritating...

I did another restore and it connected this morning and I drove up the road about 5 minutes and came back home because I forgot something. I turned the car off and grabbed what I needed and cranked the car again with the iPod disconnecting. Maybe it could be a loose connection somewhere or something.

I think I might try to pull the head unit out today and open it up to check the plug inside the unit that has the female USB port on the other end.

I haven't had a chance to pull the unit out yet, but like I stated in an earlier post, an 8gb USB drive seems to connect every single time, if I push the male end of the drive "almost" all of the way in to the female USB port of the cable. Sometimes if I just push the USB drive in all of the way, I see the light slowly flash on the USB drive meaning it has power, but the unit isn't accessing it. I tried this with the iPod several times with it either disconnecting almost immediately or it'll connect, but after I change albums with the head unit, it disconnects. All of this was tried holding the head units USB cable in the same spot and as still as possible.

Well I did a full reinstall of the fx3.1 software and was able to get Samantha TTS voice file to work properly... It may have had something to do with the newer maps, but either way the iPod still doesn't work. I will hopefully take the unit apart tomorrow and check the internal plug that goes externally to the USB female port cable.