AVIC411.com

Hi everyone i just install my z1 haven't upgrade yet to z3 and maps that's coming soon but i have a problem i can only hear sound from the radio and not the DvD or the library. the Dvd plays the movie but with no sound and the library no sound either.. also i notice that from the power supply harnes on back of the z1 i have two cables that are not connected to my factory harness they are a pink cable and a light violet cable with a white stripe maybe i need to connect one of these for sound?

I think your system is not wired correctly. There are 2 blue wires on the back of the Z. One is for 'power antenna' (only hot when listening to the radio, the other is hot anytime the system is powered up. It appears that your system has an amp and the AMP turn on wire is connected to the power antenna lead. You can confirm this by changing settings. Go to the AV settings menu, select the System Settings tab, change "Auto ANT" from "Radio" to "Power". I am willing to bet that your amp will now turn on and sound will work with library, DVD, etc.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring back an old thread. I have the same exact problem as 'clk' had, FM/AM works fine, but library,DVD etc are not working. found this thread, and removed the unit, and swapped the blue wires and still no luck. But when i change to DVD,library,aux etc, the Key tone is heard loud and clear. Also I confirmed the amb is on, and using multimeter, I checked voltages when the amp in the DVD, library, and the blue wires read 11.5 to 12 volts.

I could hear sound from library but it is like heavily distorted where I couldn't figure out what song is playing.

This unit was working for more than an year, no problems. Recently, I just added Rear monitor outputs to a flipdown screen & the SWI-PS for steering wheel controls. As soon as I added, there was a whining noise, increase or decrease depending on speed.

So I went to troubleshoot the whining noise issue, and currently ended up with library/DVD distorted sound. SWI-PS works as ecpected.

Please let me know where & what should I check next. Thanks for reading my problem.

Can you describe your speaker and amp setup? All factory original? Any canbus adapters, etc? Subwoofer?

Is it correct to say everything was working fine except the whining, you were troubleshooting whine when you lost clear sound for all sources except am/fm? If so, please detail your troubleshooting tips. Even the smallest detail could lead to a solution, so try not to leave anything out.

Thanks garrettoomey,

2005 Camry XLE with all factory original, factory JBL amplifier, Avic Z3 with crutchfield toyota harness, Pioneer bluetooth module, Pioneer iPod module, audiovox rearview camera.

Aftermarket DVD flipdown player(This video/audio was sent to Z3, so we can watch and hear what kids are watching, and hear through car speakers).

I also wired SWI-PS during first install, but did not finish up the camry's steering wires(3 wires). Because most of the Toyota harness was prewired, I just followed the crutchfield instructions and completed all above.

So, All above functions was working flawless, except the steering wheel controls for more than an year.

Recently, the flipdown DVD player did not spin, but we had to drive down to florida and ohio during summer. So, All I did was, swapped the DVD player cable input to rear monitor output, and did the corresponding swap in the flipdown player to input. Basically, I put the DVD in Z3, and kids can watch on the flipdown screen.

This is all I did, and I had this whining noise, speed depending sound(I think you all refer as alternator whine or something). But we managed and went on to our trip.

Once home, I wanted to fix the whine, same time, I thought of finishing up the steering wheel control. So, per SWI-PS instructions, I connected pin6 to ground, 7&8 with a resistor(560ohm=460+100), pin7 to swi-ps white wire. Removed the rear monitor screen output(assumed, culprit of whine).

Plugged all in, tested, steering wheel control(all worked fine, vol+-,trk+-,souce/band). But heavy distorted sound for all sources other than FM/AM.

Not sure why. So I double/triple checked wiring and all looked per instructions.

During troubleshooting, Happen to see something like dry solder in the ground cables, because during initial install, I connected all ground cable as one connection and soldered. That did not look nice. So I unsoldered, cut, and reconnected all ground cables as 2 different connections. One connection to the same ground coming from factory/crutchfield connection. 2nd to chassis metal(swi ps, amp shield ground). Still NO clear sound.

So I tried your above method, Auto ANT to Power or Radio. No luck. So I swapped the blue cables(Bl/wt to Blue). Still no luck. Swapped back to Bl to Bl & Bl/wt to Bl/wt, because my amp was turning on at start up since initial install. Still no luck.

Today I just Reset and erased everything, and still NO clear sound.

As mentioned in previous post, all the Keystroke sound is coming loud and clear. For example, library/DVD/ipod or any other than AM/FM, when I just try to press any button like track+,-, even from steering wheel controls, even in library mode, the Keypress sound is very loud and clear. But the songs are very severely distorted where I couldn't understand one word.

Hope I did not miss anything, and explained clearly. Because I can hear the keypress tones clearly even in library mode, I am thinking somewhere during the troubleshooting, may be I would have shorted something and the Z3 is fried.

One more info. As the only new kid here is the swi-ps, I wanted to check main voltages, and when I remove the swi-ps ground from the module, I get 12v in the swi ps ground wire, when the multimeter is measured to the swi ps ground wire & chassis ground. This may be normal, because swi ps light is on(working) only when I connect this ground to chassis ground. Once connected to chassis ground, when I probe in the swi ps red and black, I get 12v, so I think this is not an issue.

Please let me know what should I check or do next.

Thanks

I can't think of anything simple that would cause this issue.

Are the factory speakers connected to the z via speaker wire leads or RCA preouts?

Try disconnecting as much as possible and retest. You can disconnect iPod controller, swi-ps, etc.

Since you have normal sound in radio mode, but not DVD or iPod, I am leaning towards a hardware problem internally. My reply to the original post is the only time that I have heard of this issue and it's a simple fix.

Please keep us posted on your findings.