AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1 on a G-class (No voice command icon showing)

I just had the AVIC Z1 installed and they installed a toggle switch (as someone here already mentioned) to supposedly allow video to play while moving, but it doesn't work. So I'm returning to the shop to have them install the 2 connections to ground according to Ducati Boy's instructions. They're also going to install a back-up camera and CD SR1. I also think I got ripped off (Paid $4,000 for the unit, bluetooth, Sirius, and supposedly IPOD interface) because I don't think they even installed the Pioneer IPOD interface and just installed a cable interface, which still doesn't work.

Now the main problem is there is no Voice Command Icon with the "Please request voice command" prompt with either Map or Audio screen. Does this have something to do with how they wired the unit?

Thanks in advance. I'm pretty happy with the unit, it's just I'm missing the factory functionality like the steering wheel control. Hopefully, everything can be fixed this time since I'm sick of going back and forth the shop.

You might be able to get the steering wheel controls working. I've never messed with the G class, so I'm not sure if the controls are CAN bus, but the SWI-CAN from Pac-audio along with an SWI-PS works for other Mercedes cars. You might want to check the Benz forums to see if anybody has used those with a G class.

As far as the price, did that include some kind of custom dash kit, amps, speakers? $4000 seems very high, considering everything you listed even at full retail would be like $2700.

First, I really hate the fact that installers and people on ebay are selling some sort of switch setup for bypassing the Z1 when it's totally unnecessary and doesn't work. When all you need is a flasher circuit or the 2 wire ground for the newer units (you haven't needed a flasher circuit since July). It really rubs me the wrong way, I get emails from people every single day asking for advice because an installer thought they knew how to bypass the Z1 and didn't follow the directions from my site that the customer printed out and gave them.

And the price seems a bit high, but oh well. At least make them fix the stuff that doesn't work.

As for the voice icon, Homer is right. If you shove a toothpick in the right location the icon will show up. They didn't plug in the mic or they plugged it into the wrong location.

I don't know anything about the steering wheel controls for your car sorry.

But for that price, make them fix everything.

• 4 months later...