AVIC411.com

how do I dim the night time mode?

ncmudbug - did you get to the brightness/picture adjustment screen when you held down mode button for a few seconds? It's not clear reading your post if you did or not. There is a brightness slider for the whole unit (forgot which one does it).

Also that screen adjusts the brightness for the mode you are currently in (day or night). So to adjust night brightness, make sure you are in night mode (i.e., turn on your parking lights).

I was displaying a map and pressed both the mode button and then the home button. Neither showed a slider and neither dimmed the brightness of the map. My headlights turn on automatically when the ambient sunlight dims and they were on. When the headlights are on, the tail and parking lights are also on. I think I read that it could be an issue with the orange-white wire - maybe it's not connected to the right wire in the car). I didn't install it so I'm assuming that it was installed correctly. It is a little annoying for the map to be so bright at night but not terrible. Quite often, my arm is in the way so it doesn't shine in my face, but it is a bright light and can be a little distracting...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Navigation/AVIC-X920BT_OperationManual0129.pdf

see page 148

go to settings, navi settings, connection status.

when your car lights are on, do you see illumination = on ? If it's still off there then your unit isnt fully wired properly.

see page 167 about adjusting the screen brightness for the lighting mode (day/night) you are in. I think the one you want is "dimmer"

I was displaying a map and pressed both the mode button and then the home button. Neither showed a slider and neither dimmed the brightness of the map. My headlights turn on automatically when the ambient sunlight dims and they were on. When the headlights are on, the tail and parking lights are also on. I think I read that it could be an issue with the orange-white wire - maybe it's not connected to the right wire in the car). I didn't install it so I'm assuming that it was installed correctly. It is a little annoying for the map to be so bright at night but not terrible. Quite often, my arm is in the way so it doesn't shine in my face, but it is a bright light and can be a little distracting...

sounds like your radio wasn't installed correctly - the fix is pretty simple if you are willing to take your dash apart and splice into a wire in your car. The illumination wire on the deck needs to be hooked up to +12v when your headlights are on (any interior light that comes on with your headlights would work) - just splice it in and voila!

in the meantime, hold down the "mode" button for 5 seconds or so and a menu will come up with a brightness slider that you can manually adjust.