AVIC411.com

AppRadio 2 and Google Maps turn by turn Nav

• 2 weeks later...

ooo i want to know also... i can't wait for the new cable to come out for the iphone5.

You don't have to wait for Pioneer's cable (IH-202) since it's just their brand of an HDMI cable. I just updated to the latest AppRadio firmware v8.30 and it still supports screen mirroring with the lightning digital av adapter. So you can basically use any map or navigation app you'd like on the AppRadio screen. I'm using a generic HDMI cable with the digital av adapter with my iphone 5 and it works fine.

See my other post here (http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/36081-appradio2-sph-da100-update-v830/) for more compatibility details for the iPhone 5 and the new firmware v8.30

So far I've tested 4 map apps with the AppRadio 2 with the digital av connector with a standard hdmi cable to my iphone 5. Results below:

Google Maps - worked the best out of the 4 apps tested. Turn by turn voice instructions are heard through the stereo when connected with Bluetooth. Most accurate and up to date map app of the 4. Directions are given ahead of time before turns. Doesn't have a night map setting so you get a bright white default background when driving when the sun's down.

Apple Maps - turn by turn navigation voice only through iPhone speakers even when connected with Bluetooth. Maps aren't up to date and I was given directions down roads that were either restricted or were out of date. Directions on screen took up too much space and it was hard to see upcoming road names. Directions were given to turn when you are passing or are right at the turn. Also no night setting for maps, bright screen when driving at night.

MotionX free version - turn by turn voice option is an in-app purchase option. Video out is an in-app purchase option although when mirrored from phone to stereo, what's on screen is fine.. There's a music button to control playback within the app. Has a night mode. Different voices for turn by turn direction can be purchased . Maps can be viewed in 2D, 3D, and Satellite.

AppRadio Map App - garbage, don't even bother. Has no extra features. Only displays map in 2D overhead. Only plus is that you can pinch zoom on the AppRadio while the others don't have that feature yet.

Just downloaded Waze. Haven't had a chance to drive around with it yet but will post back once I do.

Edit: In my opinion, Waze work the best of all 5 map apps tested. Highly recommended.

So far the options look promising with points of interest, turn by turn navigation, friends visibility and user submitted reports on accidents/police/traffic. It does have the day/night mode with 2D and 3D maps. 6 voice options available with one male and female per language (english and 2 types of spanish). The app reminds me somewhat of MotionX but with all the options already included for free. The only thing is no music playback controls from the app.

Edit: The turn by turn guidance gives you prompts usually about 1000 ft before the turn.

Big plus is that there is touchscreen support on the AppRadio and the app screen on the phone only has a big button for voice commands. On the contrary, a portion of the screen is mis-sized and menu button on the left is off screen. I've heard of going into settings and adjusting the aspect ratio but that option isn't available on my iPhone or the AppRadio.

Edit: I found that if I press the "Disconnect" button and launch the app from the phone's main screen, you'll get the full screen but it won't be touch supported on the AppRadio.

If there are any other map/gps apps anyone would like tested, let me know and I'll try to get a timely response.

Just updated and tried waze.

Waze along with many other apps ( including Rdio) show up off center and to the right, you cant see the full app, nor is it even full screen size, its about 40 percent smaller then it should be... Big problem IMO because apps like waze I use every day and Rdio I pay monthly for (going to cancel that)

Anyway, hopefully its something that could be updated by the app devs, if not maybe its due to the fact that im not using pioneers shiny new 60 dollar piece of junk cable...

You don't have to wait for Pioneer's cable (IH-202) since it's just their brand of an HDMI cable. I just updated to the latest AppRadio firmware v8.30 and it still supports screen mirroring with the lightning digital av adapter. So you can basically use any map or navigation app you'd like on the AppRadio screen. I'm using a generic HDMI cable with the digital av adapter with my iphone 5 and it works fine.

See my other post here (http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/36081-appradio2-sph-da100-update-v830/) for more compatibility details for the iPhone 5 and the new firmware v8.30

I should have my hdmi tomorrow to test, but I was wondering when you say any navigation app will mirror to the appradio does that require a jailbroken phone or a non jailbroken one will work as well? I was curious because the post you linked to mentioned you were jailbroken.

Thanks

I should have my hdmi tomorrow to test, but I was wondering when you say any navigation app will mirror to the appradio does that require a jailbroken phone or a non jailbroken one will work as well? I was curious because the post you linked to mentioned you were jailbroken.

Thanks

No jailbroken phone required.  To run in mirror mode just connect the phone like you normally would and just close out the appradio app on the phone.  The unit will then treat the iphone like a video source.  So in this case you need to have the parking break engaged or a bypass.  

Now you can just operate your phone and everything reflects on the appradio.  Landscape apps obviously look a lot better filling up the screen and if the app has both vertical and landscape options just turn phone sideways to initiate landscape mode.

Thanks glumpkin, I tried it last night and it works great. For some reason Rdio doesn't fill the whole screen when connected to the iPhone 5, my 4 worked fine. Maybe they need to update the app.

Really happy I can see TomTom on the screen when driving even if the touch controls won't work.

So far I've tested 4 map apps with the AppRadio 2 with the digital av connector with a standard hdmi cable to my iphone 5. Results below:

Google Maps - worked the best out of the 4 apps tested. Turn by turn voice instructions are heard through the stereo when connected with Bluetooth. Most accurate and up to date map app of the 4. Directions are given ahead of time before turns. Doesn't have a night map setting so you get a bright white default background when driving when the sun's down.

Apple Maps - turn by turn navigation voice only through iPhone speakers even when connected with Bluetooth. Maps aren't up to date and I was given directions down roads that were either restricted or were out of date. Directions on screen took up too much space and it was hard to see upcoming road names. Directions were given to turn when you are passing or are right at the turn. Also no night setting for maps, bright screen when driving at night.

MotionX free version - turn by turn voice option is an in-app purchase option. Video out is an in-app purchase option although when mirrored from phone to stereo, what's on screen is fine.. There's a music button to control playback within the app. Has a night mode. Different voices for turn by turn direction can be purchased . Maps can be viewed in 2D, 3D, and Satellite.

AppRadio Map App - garbage, don't even bother. Has no extra features. Only displays map in 2D overhead. Only plus is that you can pinch zoom on the AppRadio while the others don't have that feature yet.

The problem with mirroring Google Maps besides the lack of touchscreen controls is that I think it then reverts to using the GPS in the phone and not the GPS antenna of the radio. The annoying thing is that in iOS 5 when Google Maps was the native maps application, it did allow turn-by-turn directions, using the GPS antenna AND with touchscreen controls (which is still the case for Android phones). Apple Maps in iOS 6 has taken this away :( Maybe when Appradio extensions becomes fully iOS 6 compatible and Google Maps can be run simultaneously with the AppRadio app then it may use the GPS antenna?

Just downloaded Waze. Haven't had a chance to drive around with it yet but will post back once I do.

Edit: In my opinion, Waze work the best of all 5 map apps tested. Highly recommended.

So far the options look promising with points of interest, turn by turn navigation, friends visibility and user submitted reports on accidents/police/traffic. It does have the day/night mode with 2D and 3D maps. 6 voice options available with one male and female per language (english and 2 types of spanish). The app reminds me somewhat of MotionX but with all the options already included for free. The only thing is no music playback controls from the app.

Edit: The turn by turn guidance gives you prompts usually about 1000 ft before the turn.

Big plus is that there is touchscreen support on the AppRadio and the app screen on the phone only has a big button for voice commands. On the contrary, a portion of the screen is mis-sized and menu button on the left is off screen. I've heard of going into settings and adjusting the aspect ratio but that option isn't available on my iPhone or the AppRadio.

Edit: I found that if I press the "Disconnect" button and launch the app from the phone's main screen, you'll get the full screen but it won't be touch supported on the AppRadio.

If there are any other map/gps apps anyone would like tested, let me know and I'll try to get a timely response.

I've also tried Navfree - this doesn't scale properly at all, even with the 'tvout' extension installed - it just displays on the top left-hand corner of the screen