AVIC411.com

Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS (New!) - Manual has disappointing news for iPhone 5 users...

While waiting for my AVH-X8500BHS (which is pre-ordered), I've been looking over the manual and I found some really disappointing news.

When using the lightning connector, you can ONLY play audio and video through the Advanced App Mode and you can't use the Pioneer iPod controls.  That means you either have to use the Advanced App Mode application called "CarMediaPlayer" to play your content, or you need to control it yourself on the iPhone.

This is really disappointing because I was hoping to use the car stereo interface to navigate my songs and videos (using link search, etc).

Really disappointed :(

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While waiting for my AVH-X8500BHS (which is pre-ordered), I've been looking over the manual and I found some really disappointing news.

When using the lightning connector, you can ONLY play audio and video through the Advanced App Mode and you can't use the Pioneer iPod controls.  That means you either have to use the Advanced App Mode application called "CarMediaPlayer" to play your content, or you need to control it yourself on the iPhone.

This is really disappointing because I was hoping to use the car stereo interface to navigate my songs and videos (using link search, etc).

Really disappointed :(

8500BHS is pretty much a twin of 8400BH. Theres almost no difference at all. Yes I did extensive research.

Well, I mostly agree but here are the differences I've found:

iPhone Voice Control

SiriusXM TuneStart, TuneScan, replay, etc

Advanced App Mode for iPhone 5 + Android (HDMI input)

However, I bet the processor and mostly everything inside is basically the same as the 8400 like you mentioned, but I am looking forward to the couple of new features the did add.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed my X8500BHS yesterday and found a few things... as stated in an above comment you can only control the media through advanced app mode or bluetooth. However, the bluetooth is much more seamless than the P8400BT I have installed in my other car... also another thing, if you're in Advanced App mode and you aren't using one of the Pioneer apps, it mirrors the iphone 5 screen, kind of like using a jailbroken iphone, except it only displays it in the size of the iphone screen (not fullscreen on the HU)... Also, setup for the iphone 5 is a total pain in the a$$... It took me longer to get it set up than it did to take apart my dash, install the HU, and reinstall my dash... The instructions just lead you in circles, and getting it to switch to the iphone 5 input is tedious and requires a few tries to understand how it works. I will confirm that bypasses still work on this Hu, and a friend told me you can switch to a relay bypass instead of a switch, which I may try in the future...

any questions, feel free to give me a shout and I can let you know since I have the HU installed

I just installed mine this weekend and was happy to find that if I plug in my usb to lighting cable that came with my iPHONE 5 it works just fine.  I don't get video but I did get album art and was able to search just like I would if I used a CDIU51V on previous models.  Im going today to buy the lightning to HDMI adaptor from apple, and will update later about that.  The only thing that disappointed me so far was that I had to use a relay on my remote turn on because it was to weak to turn on my two amps, it meters 12v when not connected but goes to 2v when I connect it to the amps.  I haven't had to run a relay for a remote in a long time.   

I just ordered one and I'll post my experience with it this weekend. I have a prior model, the AVH-P5100DVD, and there are two modes for using an iPod/iPhone: one where you navigate the songs using the head unit, the other where you control the iOS device directly and the sound plays through the speakers. I think it's this second mode that requires the CD-IH202 cable and the Lightning to Digital AV adapter. On my AVH-P5100DVD, I can navigate songs using the head unit just fine, and that cable is the old 30-pin to Lightning adapter (I have an iPhone 5), so I don't see why the newer model wouldn't support that. I'll post back this weekend when I get the unit and get it installed.

I also ordered an AVH-X8500BHS that should be here today or tomorrow.

I've re-read the documentation and it sounds like if you use the Lightning Digital A/V adapter, then you can't navigate using the iPod menu and you have to use the iPhone itself (or the AppRadio applications like CarMediaPlayer).

However, you can simply plug a lightning usb cable directly into the unit and then AppRadio will NOT work, but the iPod features will, so what I'm thinking of doing is using both USB plugs on the back of the unit.  One will be for powering the iPhone using the digital a/v adapter (for appradio mode) and the other will be for iPod mode.

Even if that works it will be a pain to use two different cables...

so what I'm thinking of doing is using both USB plugs on the back of the unit.  One will be for powering the iPhone using the digital a/v adapter (for appradio mode) and the other will be for iPod mod.

That wont work. If you have an i5 or any lightning connector iDevice you will have to use Car Media Player for your iPod function control. Its the only way Pioneer could offer lightning device compatibility once Apple changed the standard.

Hi guys -- thanks for all the info so far on the x8500. I was about to pull the trigger, but now I'm having second thoughts was hoping someone with the unit could help out with a few quesitons -- sorry for the long post:

The x8500 instructions (pg 51) say, for an iPhone 5, to use the USB1 port with the head unit supplied USB cable, not the 17-pin cable that comes with the CD-IH202 kit, though I assume that is wrong. Can you use the USB port instead though? Sounds like TexaBama and ccajay were able to. If so, then you don't really need to purchase the CD-IH202 kit and can just use the included USB male/female cord and any HDMI cord you'd like, along with the lightning Digital AV adapter? So what does the 17-pin cable offer over the standard supplied USB cord that is used w/ say the iphone 4, or is it just a proprietary connection with no additional functionality for Pioneer to make $$$ off?

It also says (pg 24) that a BT connection is still required w/ an iPhone 5 to use AppRadio -- what features use this connection?

Can the Pandora function be used just over a BT and/or standard USB connection, or is the crazy 3 cable digital AV contraption required? Is that considered part of AppRadio, or a separate function built into the head unit? How about the iPhone voice controls -- same question?

It also says (pg 23) that video functions on the iPod (assume this also means iPhone) won't work (I assume this is "iPod Out" functionality that was crippled by the lightning connection release), then on pg 24 it says that with the CD-IH202 kit, both music and video sources on the iPod cannot be played directly from the iPod controls, and that the CarMediaPlayer app must be used. So if the CD-IH202 cable is NOT used, and just the standard USB cord is used, will the built in iPod functionality work just no video, or does it still not work at all?

I'm trying to determine if after waiting all this time, maybe the AppRadio stuff just isn't worth the cost. I origninally just wanted a double din head unit for my 4Runner that is clean, no flashing colored lights, with HD radio and BT for calls that I could use to play music from my iPhone, and I also wanted to add a backup camera for towing (and so I don't run over my kid).

The Pioneer DVD line seemed to fit the bill, with AppRadio a great bonus addition, and since I have an iPhone 5 I've been waiting for months for the x8500 to release, but in the end I really was only going to use AppRadio for navigation, pandora, maybe some internet radio -- for $120+ in additional cords, some crazy dongle hanging off my phone which is draped all over my car, then having to go through a 5 step process each time I get in to get the phone to connect for AppRadio mode, and then having the ipod video function still somewhat crippled, is it really worth the extra cash? Seems a half baked bandaide solution until Apple sorts it's crap out with the head unit producers, at which point I'm sure it will be obsolete. I'm tempted to go for a x3500 or x5500 that I can get for under $400, and just say screw the video / AppRadio functionality. Seems even then I'm paying a fair amount of cash for AppRadio functionality I can't use. I don't watch video while driving anyway, and if I'm going to go through the trouble of converting to H.264 then I might as well load it onto an iPad and hand that to whoever wants to watch a flic on the road.

I'm hoping that's not the case and there is still a good amount of functionality that can be used with an iPhone 5 without too many things getting in the way....

There has been a lot of confusion surrounding Pioneer's solutions offered to address the hardware changes that were made to the iPhone 5 when it was released and the limitations or improvements gained from these changes so I am going to detail them here and why these changes were made in the hopes that all confusion can be eliminated.

First of all, screw the Pioneer CD-IH202 i5 cable option. You don't need it to get the same results with any standard HDMI cable and the lightning to USB cable that came with your i5. You still need to purchase the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter to get full function. Alright here are the different options you have and what you can and cant do with each of them.

No video/No App Mode option: Here you can use the cable that came with your phone (Apple Lightning to USB). You will ignore the 30 pin legacy iPod/iPhone connector from the unit but you will connect the cable that came from your phone to the units USB port. This will give you access to the built in iPod app on the unit as well as access to the Pandora app as well as charging functions all with album art and full title options. You will not get video or app mode functions with this option. All control functions to the iPod/Pandora apps is done over USB with this option. BT is not affected with this option and will allow BT streaming and full hands free functions. 

Full video and App Mode option: Here you will need any Lightning to USB cable (the one that came with the phone) and any HDMI cable as well as the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter. The 30 pin legacy connection is no longer used. This will give you full function with all features pertaining to the i5 on the unit as well as charging functions but will disable the built in iPod app on the unit. You will retain that function through app mode with the CarMediaPlayer app. With this option all audio/video will travel down the HDMI cable but all control functions of the apps will be over BT instead of USB. You will also get the ability to mirror the iDevice home screen with this option. Hands free functions are not changed.

Hope this has answered your questions.

VBLUE, thanks for that post, and I'm sorry that I added to the confusion. I just looked at my manual for the older model unit I have, and the CD-IU205V cable plugs into a funny-looking connector on the stereo with eleven pins. This cable then ends in the 30-pin iPhone adapter. This explains why I'm able to get the native iPod interface on my AVH-P5100DVD player. The only data ports for the AVH-X8500BHS are HDMI and what is labeled as "USB/iPod input 1" on the device, since the manual says on page 41 that only this USB port can be used for updating the firmware.

I don't understand what you mean by the first paragraph where you're talking about using the 30 pin to Lightning adapter. I'm sorry if I'm being dense, I'm a software guy mostly.

I really enjoyed the native / built-in iPod interface in my older Pioneer unit, that's what I was hoping to use with my iPhone 5 and the new unit. I'm just not seeing how I can connect a 30-pin adapter to the head unit's USB port and still retain the navigation function, without using the HDMI input in this case.

OK, I may have answered my own question. There are two other cable models that support the AVH-X8500BHS (the Pioneer website says they don't support that model, but the model's manual says they do).

The CD-IU201V cable plugs into the head unit's USB port and the AUX input. This gives direct control via the head unit and USB charging.

The CD-IU201S cable plugs into the head unit's USB port and the RGB input. This gives direct control, AppRadio functionality, and USB charging. It's about $15 more expensive than the other one.

What a confusing mess. Thanks for helping to explain it all, VBLUE!

VBlue thanks very much for that post that is super helpful. Good to confirm the proprietary USB cable is not needed for the i5 -- did Pioneer do this to keep the two USB ports available for other uses, or really just to get another $50 for $10 worth of cables? Seems with the additional confusion along with the piss poor communication on the whole solution they are really shooting themselves in the foot which is too bad.

On the no video/no app option -- can you still use the iPhone USB cable as an audio out? So for example if I were to run an internet radio app, or NFL game stream, etc. on the phone would the audio be able to play through the USB cable or via BT? Does the iTunes tagging work in this scenario?

Also on the 30-pin adapter: I guess I'm still confused; the manual says to use the USB to lightning cable (that comes with the i5) directly to the unit. How does the 30-pin adapter play into it? Does this need to be used to get around some DRM or DAC issue?

Lastly, if anyone has any opinions on if its worth an extra $200 for the x8500 over the x5500 if app radio use will (at least initially) be limited I'd love to hear them. I guess all I'm getting is an extra USB, removable screen, and an HDMI connection over a VGA so cheaper cables if I do go the i5 AppRadio route, but I don't see myself wanting to have to switch over to the CarMediaPlayer app each time I want to use the iPod controls seems like a PITA.