AVIC411.com

Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS (New!) - Manual has disappointing news for iPhone 5 users...

Tyrenta, I agree the manual is confusing. In the section "iPod control", it says for users with Lightning connectors, use the Lightning to USB cable (supplied with your iPod/iPhone) when you use this function. So that says you can get direct control just using the Lightning cable, which is what ccajay said in this thread on March 25. It says "Functions related to iPod movie files are not available", so no video. That is one thing that both the 30-pin adapter cables CD-IU201V and CD-IU201S provide. The only other thing the manual says is "If AppRadio Mode is used, the functions in this section (direct iPod control) cannot be used."

So that seems to say that iPhone 5 users can directly control the iPod/iPhone with the receiver's interface using just the Lightning to USB cable, but to get video playback, you need to use one of those two 30-pin cables I mentioned or add either an HDMI cable or the CD-IH202 cable to your Lightning to USB cable.

Do you guys with the manual agree with that interpretation?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, once again, you get no video or app mode with the 30 pin connector. Below is what you need if you want video and app mode. Again, a simple HDMI and the cable that came with your phone is all you need but you will need the Apple Lightning to Digital AV adapter that is mentioned in the link below.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/iPod-and-iPhone-Cables/CD-IH202

I'm just confused on the 30-pin connector reference. I don't see that listed in the manual for just using ipod control (no video/no appradio). It says to use the lightning USB cable. Are you saying that is incorrect, and I have to use a 30-pin USB cable with an 30-pin to lightning adapter?

I know the x5500, AppRadio 2, and X8500 all have different cable requirements for the i5. Is that the cause of my confusion?

I don't have the unit yet which is why I'm asking -- trying to figure out if I should bother with the x8500 or just go with a x3500 or x5500 since the x8500 doesn't seem to really work seamlessly with the i5 anyway so why spend the extra $200-400?

I still don't fully get it -- to be clear, you are saying the only way to use the ipod controls (sans video) on the x8500 head unit with an i5, is to buy a 30 pin USB cable for an older iphone, plug that into the USB1 port on the head unit, then buy the 30-pin to lightning adapter so I can plug that older cable into the lightning port on my i5? And that will work but just plugging the USB lightning cord that came with the phone into the same USB1 port will not work (even though the manual says it will)?

I'm trying to understand how sticking a 30-pin adapter into the mix effects the USB data transmission, and also why ccajay said that the lightning cable did work for him in post #6.

Just ordered this off a seller on ebay for ~$520, lowest price I've seen it for so far.  Also ordered a micro bypass, Android cable, Sony backup camera.  Won't be able to report on how well this works with Android phones as I'm still waiting for the release of the HTC One. 

Surprised to see so little reviews of this unit so far, and so few youtube videos of it. 

@tyrenta: Read this again!

There has been a lot of confusion surrounding Pioneer's solutions offered to address the hardware changes that were made to the iPhone 5 when it was released and the limitations or improvements gained from these changes so I am going to detail them here and why these changes were made in the hopes that all confusion can be eliminated.

First of all, screw the Pioneer CD-IH202 i5 cable option. You don't need it to get the same results with any standard HDMI cable and the lightning to USB cable that came with your i5. You still need to purchase the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter to get full function. Alright here are the different options you have and what you can and cant do with each of them.

No video/No App Mode option: Here you can use the cable that came with your phone (Apple Lightning to USB). You will ignore the 30 pin legacy iPod/iPhone connector from the unit but you will connect the cable that came from your phone to the units USB port. This will give you access to the built in iPod app on the unit as well as access to the Pandora app as well as charging functions all with album art and full title options. You will not get video or app mode functions with this option. All control functions to the iPod/Pandora apps is done over USB with this option. BT is not affected with this option and will allow BT streaming and full hands free functions. 

Full video and App Mode option: Here you will need any Lightning to USB cable (the one that came with the phone) and any HDMI cable as well as the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter. The 30 pin legacy connection is no longer used. This will give you full function with all features pertaining to the i5 on the unit as well as charging functions but will disable the built in iPod app on the unit. You will retain that function through app mode with the CarMediaPlayer app. With this option all audio/video will travel down the HDMI cable but all control functions of the apps will be over BT instead of USB. You will also get the ability to mirror the iDevice home screen with this option. Hands free functions are not changed.

Hope this has answered your questions.

I don't have the unit yet which is why I'm asking -- trying to figure out if I should bother with the x8500 or just go with a x3500 or x5500 since the x8500 doesn't seem to really work seamlessly with the i5 anyway so why spend the extra $200-400?

As I understand none of these units work properly with the i5 yet because Pioneer hasn't released the firmware update to coincide with the proper cables. And there is no for sure ETA but what has been stated by reps from Pioneer is somewhere around a couple of weeks.

@tyrenta: Read this again!

I did -- it's the first part where I guess I'm being being thick, since it contradicts what ccajay posted before you and he has the unit:

"Here you can use the cable that came with your phone and the Apple 30 Pin to Lightning Adapter."

My phone didn't come with a 30-pin cable, it came with a lightning cable, so I gues I still am unclear what you mean -- again do you mean I should go purchase an older usb/30-pin cable, and then the 30-pin to lightning adapter that converts that back to the connector that I already have? The USB lightning cable that came with my phone will NOT work? CCajay just posted (post #6) that it DOES work, and that is what the manual also states. Hence my confusion.

I see where your confused and it is my mistake. Scratch the Apple 30 pin to Lightning adapter. It is not needed for an AVH unit as opposed to the Z series. If you are satisfied with just audio and no App Mode/Video the lightning cable that came with your phone will work.

Thanks VBlue -- helps a lot.

Anyone know why Pioneer chose the 17-pin USB cable option in the x8500? They make it appear required, but if not, what is the purpose? For one I can see it would add a second data port, in addition to USB1 -- that in itself is useful info if true. I can't imagine in the engineering scramble to address apples lightning port 'enhancement' that they decided to add a 17-pin proprietary port simply to be able to charge $50 for it. Does it provide more power than the USB1 port (say to charge an iPad)? Or does it really add nothing except an additional data port?

Also, does anyone have a shot of the back panel of the x8500? The manual doesn't really give a good representation.

The only advantage then of paying for the x8500, to me, seems to be the digital video options /  android support -- HDMI in, SD card, 2nd video out, etc. Is it worth the extra $$ over the x5500? Prob not, unless anyone has strong opinions on if the x5500 DVI->VGA cable / required firmware upgrade will be inferior to the HDMI cable option of the x8500. Will I still have two data ports on the x5500 (Adapter + USB1), or just one? Seems you can have up to three on the x8500.

tyrenta -  I have this unit, and it really depends on what you are looking for.  IF you happen to have your own usb extender (or can get one) and also your own HDMI cable, then you are saving $50 on not purchasing the iphone 5 cable kit.  

So if you think of it that way, the 5500 is $499 plus $120 for the kit.  Making the total $620 (or $600 if you get the kit for $100).  Is a detachable face, SD car reader, dual USB (which my installer was able to tie the 2nd USB into my existing USB port in my car) and HDMI option to use with anything, such as a PS3 or portable blu-ray player, etc. worth $30 more?  If not, then go with the 5500 and the VGA connection option, if so, go with the 8500. Hope that helps.

tyrenta -  I have this unit, and it really depends on what you are looking for.  IF you happen to have your own usb extender (or can get one) and also your own HDMI cable, then you are saving $50 on not purchasing the iphone 5 cable kit.  

So if you think of it that way, the 5500 is $499 plus $120 for the kit.  Making the total $620 (or $600 if you get the kit for $100).  Is a detachable face, SD car reader, dual USB (which my installer was able to tie the 2nd USB into my existing USB port in my car) and HDMI option to use with anything, such as a PS3 or portable blu-ray player, etc. worth $30 more?  If not, then go with the 5500 and the VGA connection option, if so, go with the 8500. Hope that helps.

IMHO, the fact that the faceplate is detachable is easily worth at least $50+.  

Don't most people just stick the detachable face under the drivers seat? I can't imagine it's much of a deterrent these days.

This is how I'm looking at it -- the x3500 is $295, x5500 is $390, and the x8500 $540 (all on Amazon), so $150 (or $245) difference to get the x8500. IF I want the option of using AppRadio w/ an i5 on the x5500/x3500 I need to spend an additional $90 or so over what I would for the x8500, so assuming I want that option in the future the price difference is really $60/$155. $60 basically for removable face and an extra USB port (I don't see why I need an SD slot)? I guess so, though I'm not convinced there won't be a better solution in 12-months that doesn't require all these adapter cables and works more seamlessly with the i5. If I don't care about AppRadio at all (and I'm having a hard time seeing me using it too much) then $295 for the x3500 starts to look attractive, even though I don't get the 7" screen. I could spend $300 and get the updated radio in a year or two when something better comes along, and not be out too much in the mean time.

Is there a processor speed difference between the three units -- something that would effect actual usability on day one even without using AppRadio?

OT Random question -- in the days of smart phones/iPads does anybody really sit and look at photos or watch movies on their car radio?