AVIC411.com

Z150BH Video Format - USB/SD Card

Hey all, I've read other threads discussing video formats on other Pioneer models but none specifically about the new z150.  Maybe I can get a headstart.

I've been playing with the z150's video playback capabilities.  Specifically, I'm using an SD card with video files.  According to the manual, the max resolution is 400x240 for ANY video file on the SD card.  And, of course, the only way I can get any video to play on the SD card is to follow the manual and convert all videos to 400x240.

Has this always been a limitation of Pioneer units?  The video just looks terrible, even maxing out the bitrate to 2.5mbs, because of the poor resolution.  The screen on the z150 is 800x480.

I was just hoping someone would tell me that the manual's max resolution is just a placeholder and that it's possible to create larger resolution files.  I'm blown away by the fact that the max resolution is so low on a flagship model.

To be honest, it seems like the Z-series isn't where the new development for Pioneer is focused.  Sure they tweaked the interface a little, but the AVH-X8500BHS (and the P8400BH before it) seem to be where all the new features are added, etc.

Anyways, I was thinking about switching to Kenwood (DNX890HD) for Garmin navigation but it doesn't even support media playback from an SD card.  Sigh.

I really do love my AVH-X8500BHS but AppRadio is a bit of a pain and I'd rather have HU Navi so I can do split-screen video, etc.

Damn Guys I gotta admit I aint too pleased with the quality even off the Dvd Player of the z150bh.  I mean damn we spend a lot money on it hoping its good quality. My advice for you guys out there reading this I would probably lean towards more to go buy AVH-X8500BHS  then also buy the navi add on avic-U and you guys would probably have better head units than our z150 HAHA HAHA no seriously .. 8)

Damn Guys I gotta admit I aint too pleased with the quality even off the Dvd Player of the z150bh.  I mean damn we spend a lot money on it hoping its good quality. My advice for you guys out there reading this I would probably lean towards more to go buy AVH-X8500BHS  then also buy the navi add on avic-U and you guys would probably have better head units than our z150 HAHA HAHA no seriously .. 8)

Seriously...the 8500 allows 1280x720 videos to be played from the SD card.  We get 400x240.  Unbelievable.

And not to mention, the 8500 lets you completely control Siri from the iPhone via Bluetooth.  We don't.

8500 has the same screen resolution as the z150, 800x480.

The 8500 can decode MPEG-4 video files from the SD card at 1280x720, up to 8mbps. Granted, if I had this option, I would encode files at the native 800x480. 1280x720 is a little overkill for that screen.

The "flagship" z150 can decode MPEG-4 at 400x240, up to 2.5mbps.

I'm trying to figure out how, if at all, the z150 is superior to an 8500 with the add-on nav.

• 2 weeks later...