AVIC411.com

Appradio Functionality... With my iPhone in my pocket....

Pioneer Pre-sales support is horrible....  I wonder how their Post Sales Support will be...  Here is my question....

If I just get into my car and drive, how much functionality do I get with the AppRadio and an iPhone 5?  Yes the iPhone is jailbroken (if that has any bearing).  I am trying to decide between the Parrot Asteroid SMART and the AppRadio 2

Suggestions?

Sal

The only way you could get a fully featured device without plugging it in would be if you had some new appradio with built in wifi and an apple approved (no one has this) airplay mirroring capability. Then the display and audio would be output via wifi streaming, as well as probably control of the iphone from the radio. However, that's never going to happen. With the new DA-110 and bluetooth streaming you will probably have access to the pandora app without plugging anything in, but that's it. 

Been thinking about this. You could achieve the functionality by adding an apple tv and a small wireless router. With the iPhone 5 the AppRadio no longer actually "knows" that the phone is plugged into the radio. It just knows that something is plugged into its HDMI port and that your iPhone is linked to it via bluetooth. If you used an apple tv as your piggyback and then had a very low power wireless router to give a connection to both devices it would actually be perfectly possible to do what you want. 

Only problems I see is that

1. there will be lag on touch response.

2. You will run into a problem with the apple tv and router boot time which would be horrendous, or

3. if you don't want that problem you have to find a way to keep both the router and the apple tv on at all times without draining your battery. 

4. At home of all places I've had issues where my apple tv randomly decides that it doesn't feel like working because it just doesn't. A little annoying at home. Would be utterly infuriating in the car. 

However, yes this should work. 

If you don't want to worry about plugging your phone in, I think your best bet is to buy an iPod Touch 4G (running iOS 5), jailbreak it and your phone, make sure all the apps you'd use on your phone are on the iPod, install AR Extensions and MyWi, then tether the iPod to your phone.  I'm going to be trying out this set up myself soon, but I think it would allow you to keep the iPod in a center console, glove box, etc. and have full touch capabilities for your desired apps while not having to worry about plugging your phone in.  The only part I'm not sure of is how smoothly or quickly the tethering/streaming functions would work from phone to iPod to AppRadio.

The only problem with having an iPod for these functions and having it in the glove box is the fact that you still have to access the device on occasion. Having it in the glove box would be inconvenient. And Im really missing the benefit of having an Apple TV in the mix. I cant think of anything an Apple TV would give me that I don't already have with my i5. Someone enlighten me.