AVIC411.com

Ebay Weirdness

Do a search on Ebay for AVIC-Z1....there's one guy there with 8 or 10 auctions @$231 each, and another guy for $600....but you have to email them first before you can bid.....I didn't bother....but I'm curious...what's the deal w/that?

they are scammers. They do this with any item... even cars. They will sell a 3000gt VR4 for 2000 dollars when they usually sell for 14k. Dont waste your time. I followed up on one for fun. All they tell you to do is that they will tell some paypal person to contact you via email. The "paypal" person will then tell you to forward the money (via western union) to the fake paypal company and they will hold it until you get your item

Yah, if you find any auction where it's an "email me first" or something like that, send ebay a note and they will pull that auction. As aznsmartass24 said, any auction where they say to email them outside of ebay, means they have most likely have taken over someone else's account and don't want you to email the actual account holder.

I have seen motorcycles that should sell for close to $10K for $1K or $2K. If it's too low to believe it probably it.

Now not ALL Ebay auctions are bad. I got my Z1 off Ebay with all the acxcessories... :D

You are right, most people on ebay are fine. I, personally, have spent many thousands over the years on ebay. My account dates back to 1999. But any account where they ask you to email a different address rather than the ebay account is a big scam.

Now not ALL Ebay auctions are bad. I got my Z1 off Ebay with all the acxcessories... :D

You are right, most people on ebay are fine. I, personally, have spent many thousands over the years on ebay. My account dates back to 1999. But any account where they ask you to email a different address rather than the ebay account is a big scam.

I totally agree. Feedback is a wonderful thing, hahaha!

A friend of mine at work bought a motorcycle that was valued over 10,000 dollars for 6000. He even asked me if I thought it was legit because of my experiences with ebay. I told him NO! NO! NO! He wanted it so bad he sent the money western union,goodbye 6000. They had him convinced it was going through square trade. His lesson was a little expensive!

Yikes, that is an expensive lesson. Speaking of lesson, at an old company many years ago a guy knew a "guy" who could get him TV's from Macy's or some place in NYC. He thought this was legit and convinced a bunch of coworkers to join him on this venture for a cheap TV. Then collected a bunch of money from a bunch of people, rented a truck and met this "guy" in an alley in the back of whatever store this was, and this "guy" conned my friend to give him all the cash to go into the store while he waited out back in the truck for them to bring out the TV's and he didn't get suspicious. Anyway, that was an expensive lesson, he even paid his co-workers back with his own money that he handed to this "guy". The cons remain the same, just where it happens has changed. :)

They were doing this scam as well at a Sears store in the Queens Center Mall in NYC.

Opie of the Opie n Anthony XM show (or was it Anthony lol) talked about one night years ago walking at night in the city with friends when someone approached them with a shrinkwrapped box of a camcorder he was selling for $200. He bought it, took it home, not thinking most camcorder boxes arent shrinkwrapped, and opened it up to find a brick and some wadded up newspaper to make the box feel the weight. He then looked at the box and sees the printing on the box were photocopies of an original camcorder box!

I don't see how in this day and age, with all the hype in the news and on tv, people still fall for it. If its too good to be true, it most likely is!

guys now i got a question, i put my item on sell on ebay, someone ask me if i can deal with it outside of ebay, the reason is he doesn't wanna mix the purchase with their business. He is willing to pay me by paypal. I told him i'll need 4 days to process before i ship the item out so we all play it safe. Do you think this is going to be a scam? or there's nothing to lose for me?

Those are scam.

I tried bidding, but am receiving emails form Ebay security, statng that if i did send money, i should get 'em back asap.

On other hand.. a friend of mine bought a carrera porche from ebay.. for 3500.... and sent money via WU, and guess what!! It came in!

I think as long as paypal is there, you might be protected. It's western union which is the thing that lets people scam others. With Paypal there is traceability and if you are a seller you can have some protection. But you are getting money first. If he wants to work out of ebay, that makes me suspicious, but if you use paypal, check with them for your "coverage". I have had a few people try to screw me on paypal, and as long as the paypal account ships to a verified address, I was covered and paypal got screwed and gave me my money. I think you can set up something like that.

If the person wants to use paypal but says "Oh and my real address is not in paypal, can I email you with a different address that you can send it to?" or emails you from another email account not associated with paypal, that might through up a red flag.

There's another scam going on that my buddy got suckered on. It's a variation of the White Van Speaker Scam where 1 or 2 guys pull up in a delivery looking van, say that they have a couple of extra units of these $4k list price surround sound systems, show a glossy with the retail price and will let it go to you for $xxx and some beer money.

They even have a website thats a joke showing these junk systems with their multi-thousand dollar list prices, no tech specs or other info about the systems.