AVIC411.com

Spotify, iPod Touch 4G, and AR Extensions

I have an iPod Touch 4G that I bought to be a dedicated device with my AR2.  It's running iOS 6.1.3 with a tethered Redsn0w jailbreak.  One of my primary uses for the iPod (and AR Extensions) is playing Spotify playlists offline.  Many times, I jump in the car, get through Pioneer's warning screens and everything works fine.  Other times, however, when I get through the screens and try to select Spotify on the AR2 it will open Spotify, but gives me nothing but a white screen.  Spotify just won't load/open.  If I unplug the iPod, start Spotify from the device, and then plug it back in, the AR2 recognizes Spotify as the music player running in the background and I'm able to get right into the music control screen from the bottom right icon on the AR2.  

I'm running the latest beta of AR Extensions, although this problem has been happening consistently over the last few betas.  I've tried removing and reinstalling Spotify (and re-syncing the offline playlists) from the iPod.  It hasn't helped.  I'm wondering if the offline function and/or lack of any data or wifi connection has something to do with it, as I never encounter this issue when I plug my phone into the AR2.  Spotify always starts right up with the iPhone.  

It's getting to be pretty frustrating, as it kind of defeats the purpose of having a separate device tucked away in my center console if I have to pull it out and do my little Spotify startup dance every other time I get in the car.  Any ideas or suggestions?  Anybody who uses Spotify regularly encounter this sort of issue?

Other times, however, when I get through the screens and try to select Spotify on the AR2 it will open Spotify, but gives me nothing but a white screen.

Where are you selecting Spotify from? The AppRadio app menu or the icon in the corner?

Does the screen just turn white immediately or does it animate like its launching the Spotify app first?

Does it work if you press the "Home" button and launch Spotify directly from the springboard?

Where are you selecting Spotify from? The AppRadio app menu or the icon in the corner?

Does the screen just turn white immediately or does it animate like its launching the Spotify app first?

Does it work if you press the "Home" button and launch Spotify directly from the springboard?

1. The app menu. I'm pretty sure every time this has happened selecting Spotify from the "music control icon" in the right corner isn't an option because it just shows the iPod icon as the default music player in that spot. Now that I think about it, it probably happens most often in the morning when I'm leaving for work. Not sure if that has anything to do with the iPod "resetting" itself or going into some sort of "sleep" mode overnight due to inactivity. It doesn't seem to happen as often when I get back in the car to go to lunch (typically 3-4 hours after I would have last used it on my drive in). I suppose it also could have something to with the fact that it's still reading a faint wifi connection while it's sitting in the garage as I'm pulling out in the mornings. Maybe it's trying to read a connection and gets something on startup, but loses it as I'm pulling out of the driveway and that causes some sort of problem?

2. It animates in the sense that you can tell its definitely trying to start Spotify. I see the iPod time/connection status bar at the very top of the screen on the AR2, it's just the rest of the screen (the part where you'd typically see the Spotify navigation) that is completely white.

3. I haven't tried using the Home button option from the AR2 app menu screen. I'll give that a shot the next time it happens and let you know what I see.

Thanks for all the tremendous work you've done on this, Mike. I appreciate the response.

Re: #3, the Home button option from the AR2 doesn't work.  Neither does trying to navigate to Spotify directly from the iPod while it's still plugged in.  The only way I've been able to get it to start Spotify is by first unplugging the iPod, loading Spotify on it, then plugging it back in.  As I mentioned above, however, sometimes this isn't necessary, and it's usually when it's only been a few hours since I was last in the car.  If the iPod sits overnight, for example, Spotify never loads back up through the AR2.  I've got to unplug it and do it directly.

I've also noticed that the touch controls are off when it does bring up the Spotify screen.  I've got to aim down and to the right (i.e. into the black portion of the AR2 screen) to tap the right part of the mirrored Spotify screen.

A couple other things that might be affecting this issue:  (1) I've got Activator loaded from Cydia so that the iPod automatically unlocks when it receives power, and locks when it doesn't, and (2) I also installed SpotiPlay in an attempt to make Spotify the default music player, but it definitely doesn't seem to be working...at least when it interacts with the AR2.

• 3 months later...