AVIC411.com

Popular Waze Navigation App Updated with Cleaner Map UI, Other Improvements

http://modmyi.com/showpost.php?p=6935251

wazebanner.png

"The highly popular Waze navigation application for iOS has Wednesday received an update bringing the application up to version 3.7.3. Google acquired Waze in June of this year and has been slowly integrating many of its features including the Waze Incident Reports into the Google Maps application, but that doesn't stop Waze fans from using the Waze application itself, and it has just gotten better with today's update. The update makes it so that the Map interface in the application appears much cleaner by only showing certain incidents and items on the map based on their distance from the user. In addition, duplicate reports are now grouped together under one to reduce the amount of clutter. In addition, the Waze team added a new Sleep Mode, which will freeze the Waze navigation system and allow you to resume when you're ready rather than shutting down the navigation system altogether. Bug fixes and stability improvements were also a critical part of today's update. Existing users of the Waze application will find the update under the Updates tab in the App Store. Alternatively, you can download the latest version of the Waze application from the iOS App Store via this link. Sources: App Store"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have used nearly every navi app none to man at this point from built in in-dash to iOS based navi apps and I can say that Waze has been the most useful and accurate of any of them. I deliver pizzas for my side job and I use Waze on every run. It is the only navi app that has 95% of the time taken me right to the door of the address I am looking for. Most other apps will take from anywhere from a couple of addresses to a couple of blocks to the address you are looking for. I don't what kind of tech those Israelis are using for their navi but it works damn well.

Tried Waze for the first time yesterday, and the first two times it never displayed on the radio screen, and then when it did, it was completely out of aspect, and i got the red X trying to use the screen on the radio.

6.1.3 4S on DA110 AR3(not sure on AR3 firmware)

So if thats par for the course for waze, it will get deleted immediately.

Plug the phone into the unit and then make sure the external unit setting is turned on in the Waze app.

I never thought about checking settings with it plugged in, i went thru the menu with it unplugged.

In your experience with Navi apps, why does apple maps (default map app button) get so choppy when its in max zoom, it doesnt do that on the phone.

The iOS Waze option to display external only appears once your iPhone is physically connected to the AppRadio.  (you won't find this option in Waze while unplugged)

After I plugged it in to the radio, it stayed in the menu even while unplugged. 

To be honest, after the horrible first waze experience (due to my own lack of trying) i am fairly impressed with the app, its a little jumpy in close zoom and needs a few more tweaks IMO but over all the best Appradio specific Navi app i have experienced so far IMO (and i dont use any of the social network stuff in the app, i deleted my facebook account months ago)

I never thought about checking settings with it plugged in, i went thru the menu with it unplugged.

In your experience with Navi apps, why does apple maps (default map app button) get so choppy when its in max zoom, it doesnt do that on the phone.

The Map that shows up on the Head Unit when you select the Map button is not Apple's map. I believe this is sourced by the AppRadio app from somewhere, but I'm not sure where from.

When you say choppy do you mean that the image is jagged? Or are you saying that the map doesn't follow you well while you're driving?

Still absolute junk to me lol,

Takes me to the wrong places and the wrong way (compared to the tomtom app)

Shares my location to Facebook as "."

That's if I do it from the phone as sharing ain't allowed from headunit

For those who find that Waze doesn't get them to the right place; remember Waze's data is community sourced. If you're finding there are errors in your area then you can make the corrections/improvements yourself.

At very least report the errors and report the incorrect route so that map editors in your area can fix it. 

It should be noted that if Waze gives directions to a street only, and does not list the requested house number that means that Waze does not have house numbers for that street. This means you might end up on the wrong end of the street, or even on another branch of the street that is not connected to where you currently are. If this happens, report a map error and state the house number at least of where you are.

To be honest, though, the TomTom app will probably have much better directions. What they won't have is community reported traffic and constantly updated speed. Even if you subscribe to the traffic reporting in the TomTom app it won't be as current as Waze or as accurate (especially if there are many Waze users in your area).

The Map that shows up on the Head Unit when you select the Map button is not Apple's map. I believe this is sourced by the AppRadio app from somewhere, but I'm not sure where from.

When you say choppy do you mean that the image is jagged? Or are you saying that the map doesn't follow you well while you're driving?

Pioneer states for the default app "

"View maps as you would on your iPhone® or Android™ device. Functionality is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio™ app."

Which it really doesnt matter if its Apple Maps or Google Maps, i figured that was the default for a iOS coupled device. If it is a replication of apple and google maps, then that explains the choppiness

Choppy as in, even tho the phone and the radio have a antenna to receive a GPS signal, tracking of location is choppy where it isnt in other Navi apps i have used