AVIC411.com

Using Vicinity Seach when driving

First off, I'm a girl..and blonde...LOL And I do not understand most of this stuff that I am reading.

My tech told me to come here a look for some code or method to make my Nav button not grey while driving and ability to watch DVD.

He mention something about turning the headlights on and off 2 or 3 times, and starting the engine twice..but wasn't sure of the pattern to bypass the security on the parking brake.

So if someone can explain how to do this...I would love it. I do have parking braking switch installed but not sure when to use that.

Life is fun being a blonde...tee hee

Thanks all! :D

If it is true that you have a N3, the fix it pretty easy. There are 3 things you have to do:

1. Take the headunit out. When I say out, there should be 4 VERY small screws that hold it into a metal sleeve. Just be aware that you may, depending on your install and wire length, have to disconnect the wiring harnesses (they are just plugs that only fit properly into each specific hole on the back of the headunit). Once you pull the headunit out, on the bottom side, you will see a silver sticker. Under this sticker there is a switch. Now comes for the tricky part: If you bought this from a non authorized dealer( aka no factory warranty) or you do not care about your factory warranty, peel the sticker off, and move the metal switch. If on the other hand, you have a factory warranty which you wish to keep, it will be slightly move difficult. There is a post on a guy who used a bent paperclip and slid it in a slot on the bottom of the headunit near where the sticker is and was able to move the switch...aka not removing the sticker and hence not voiding the warranty. I have done this and it isn't too hard, but hopefully someone will post you a link to that post so you can get a better idea.

2. If your installer grounded the parking brake to a switch, you would have to flip that switch, and voila, everything would work while you are driving, so long as that switch is flipped. However, almost everyone, instead fo installing a switch, just grounds the parking brake and never puts a switch in because it doesn't really help any.

3. Now ya owe me. I am open to suggestions on repayment :)

I have to chime in here about the "search function." I am sorry, it is useable but it SUCKS, especially for people unfamiliar with bolean language. To start, when you click search and you want to select a specific section, the sections aren't DEFINED! You see, general, Hacks/mods..etc but it does not list for which headunit/service/etc those subsections are under. For instance, if I want to search N1, N2, N3, subsection Hacks/Mods, all I see are all the subsections listed, and not Section "D1, D2, D3" Section "n1, n2, n3," Section "Z1" ....etc. This can be EXTREMELY frustrating. Then once you search, you can come up with 50 posts, and some subjects are never completely covered in one posting. For instance, the great paperclip switch mod is in its own separate posting, not under one posting that is N3 Motion Modification. If we got together, and condensed major topics, such this, into one post, which could or could not be a sticky, I believe we would see MUCH less of these posts. For instance, someone comes to the site, jumps into Hacks/Mods and at the top see a sticky for N1 Motion Mod/hack, another sticky N2 Motion Mod/Hack..etc, this would make the "newbie" questions limited. Moreover, I have to admit I was just for interest sake trying to figure out the modification for the Z1, and with the hundreds of Ducati posts (not his per se, but on the issue) I became overwhelmed and said screw it. I just think as a community we shoudl try to help one another, and the best way might be by consolidating frequently asked questions and answers into stickies.

I have to chime in here about the "search function." I am sorry, it is useable but it SUCKS, especially for people unfamiliar with bolean language.

Unfortunately, the search function is not the fault of this board, rather the software running the board, and the software is names "phpBB."

You have some great points, and definitely are right about stickies. If Jason doesn't mind, I would like to prune the XM boards, remove off topic posts within individual threads, and perhaps "sticky" a few posts there.

Is that ok Jason?

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, I didn't even know this topic existed.

This forum is designed to HELP people, not insult them.

I will not tolerate ANY personal insults of any kind.

To those involved, future incidents like this will result in a week long ban.

Locked.