AVIC411.com

car appears side ways on map

just finished installing my avic n3 and i must say, wonderful piece of equipment...especially since this is my first time owning a new headunit and installing it myself...also did the rear view camera and the ipod adapter....went smoothly with no problems....im finally feeding good sound to my aftermarket speakers too which is a plus.

now my problem is....just today i noticed on the way home that my arrow...or car on the map is angled slightly when on the road....and is now completely perpendicular to the road....its noticeable in the Drivers View option that the road i should be going straight on is horizontal on the screen. I figured since I didnt really screw the brain down under the seat it would have shifted....but when i went to reposition the brain ( I will secure to some board when i have time) to make sure its in the proper position pointing forward like the indicators show on the brain it barely moved the arrow back to where it should be....faceing parallel to the road....im thinking maybe because im in park that it doesnt move much.....

anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

It should say which way to mount the Hide-Away unit directly ON the Hide-Away unit.

My guess is that since your hide away is not bolted down, it turned from slightly angled, to sideways,

--OR--

You mounted your hideaway unit sideways. (but it seems you looked at the picture on the hideaway, so maybe not)

--OR--

You're driving sideways :lol:

Bolt/Hold that f*cker down, man!!

Then go into the Navi Menu, hit the info tab, and hit the 3d calibration button. Press on the Learning Status or whatever it is button, and hit Clear .

That'll reset your Gyro, and you'll have to drive around for a while before it relearns everything, but as long as your brain stays relatively in place (especially during relearning) you'll be okay.

If you bought the unit 2nd hand and didn't fully reset that stuff (which i think is impossible, but you never know), it may have been oriented slightly differently in its last owner's vehicle, and would be best to reset.

Hope that helps.

sweet deal man, thanks for the info, its barely moved under the passenger seat...so even when i move it....which is with very little slack it moves maybe a few degrees just me moving it manually....and yes i did look at the top of the brain...i knew before i even had purchased the thing that it was supposed to be like that.

ill try that tomorrow, im too tired to go back into my garage and mess with it now. The unit was bought from a retailer....so hopefully it wasnt a second hand (but you never know these days...)

Lol otherwise if i left it just the way it is....id have the worlds longest drift....

ahahaha cool. Yeah, try resetting that thing. If it keeps on doing what its doing and you're SURE its not ending up facing sideways at all, then you might wanna try swapping it out with another brain, because that one might be toast for some reason or another.

I can't see it being anything else though.

Best of luck,

slyk

• 2 months later...
I have a N3 as well and I can guarantee you its the Brain. I put mine under the Drivers seat. You have bolted/screwed the brain sideways. On the top of the brain it should say "Top" or "Front" and that is suppost to point to the front of your car.

3 months later...

• 1 month later...

I have the appearance of side ways travel. Does Z-2 have a hide away brain as in the D3? When Z-2 was installed two months ago my screen direction of travel was always toward the top of the screen. Within the past few days direction of travel will drift from straight up, to diagonal, to horizontal and then eventually to a reverse direction diagonal.

Also started to get the "excessive vibration" reading on the connection status screen. I reset the learning settings tonight. I have other strange readings in my hardware connections data screen. They relate to my speed pulse indicator jumping back and forth between 0 and 3 pulses while I am driving but the mph speed remains 0. However the speed pulses are accumulating at 225601. Distance has one hash mark. Right and Left turn boxes are full of hash marks. 3D has one hash mark.

Any idea what is going on. I am new to this.

Any advice greatly appreciated

New Orleans