AVIC411.com

Carplay hands on demo at Geneva

I could very much see a future pioneer Appradio made with carplay in mind. The biggest problem pioneer has run into always is that they are first and foremost a hardware maker. This takes the software out of Pioneer's hands, which is always been something that they are poor at. Carplay looks fantastic.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/04/apple-carplay-ferrari-ff-hands-on/

You guys really think this functionality is going to be available soon in aftermarket units? Doubt it, think about it, it is available for 6 car manufacturers now and another 12 down the road (probably next year). Dealerships will charge you for this high end system on their new cars. People will not pay top dollars for it if it is available for less on an aftermarket unit. I'm guessing it will only be available from the car manufacturers for a couple of years before its available in an aftermarket unit. I'm hoping that I am wrong.

I think Apple will want it integrated in as many OEM and aftermarket units as soon as possible - to take over market share.

With people buying new cars on average every 5-6 years, that's a long road to gain any significant portion of the total user base of automobile drivers.

You guys really think this functionality is going to be available soon in aftermarket units? Doubt it, think about it, it is available for 6 car manufacturers now and another 12 down the road (probably next year). Dealerships will charge you for this high end system on their new cars. People will not pay top dollars for it if it is available for less on an aftermarket unit. I'm guessing it will only be available from the car manufacturers for a couple of years before its available in an aftermarket unit. I'm hoping that I am wrong.

Look to history of the aftermarket to get an answer here. Just like cars it takes years for aftermarket radios to be properly developed. If apple has been working with the aftermarket ahead of the launch of carplay it won't be very long of a wait for an aftermarket solution to arise. However if the first time pioneer or alpine heard the words carplay was yesterday then expect to wait a while.

Now there is hope here. Siri eyes free was announced in mid 2012 with the announcement of iOS 6 and aftermarket radios featuring Siri eyes free came out just one year later. This leads me to believe that apple isn't leaving the aftermarket high and dry. With that in mind I'm sure that apple is working with the aftermarket to get this solution to users.

Apple knows car buyers don't change cars every year like phones. Apple knows that to get good developer support for their new interface it needs to be in as many cars as possible. As such I don't doubt that they are working with pioneer and alpine and everyone else to get this through.

Finally remember that these same companies produce radios for the major auto manufacturers. Pioneer for example seems to run every radio in every current Toyota. So apple is working with the aftermarket by proxy when they work with the OEMs. I'm not worried.

I would guess that the Appraido is already compatible with car play since it already works with siri eyes, I cant believe that apple has done something so crazy that they render car play useless with all appraidos. It is just built in system app that allows it to work.

apple is not stupid...i hope....
this can easyly be an app like "appradio app"....
in fact with mike decaro, this exists already....

to focus on this "new" product....i don't think android and google, will stay looking on it...so there is some nice updates the following years...
personnaly, i don't see it as a great inovation....it's almost awfull interface....

When mercedes launch new a_class...they launched a app, that must still exist , you can connect iphone on mercedes screen board...
honda too...
i think more on a user adapter phone interface......this carplay is just for "show"