AVIC411.com

Video playback via USB - NEX8000

hmmm.... now it appears this drive likes to crash the nex8000... very odd....   basically what it does now is tries to read then shortly after the unit reboots.... then says LOADING...........  and gets stuck....   no way to get out of it until USB remove and power cycle....

ok I figured it out..... it appears the headunit will NOT let you have MUSIC and VIDEO files on same USB to switch between.... once you add music files, video files get inaccessible....

That's not true. There's a button on the music timer on the left. A folder icon and you will see three options. MUSIC>VIDEO>PHOTOS. The HU automatically defaults to music the first time you put the SD card in.

ok I figured it out.....  it appears the headunit will NOT let you have MUSIC and VIDEO files on same USB to switch between.... once you add music files, video files get inaccessible....  

No, it definitely is fine with multiple types of files on one device, and USB1 and 2 are interchangeable. 

I have a 120GB NTFS-formatted SSD on USB1.  Works fine.

Note that the NEX units are fairly restricted on what video formats they will play.  Specifically, WMV/H.264 and DivX are listed as "compatible", as is MKV/FLV (!)

Although not explicitly listed at least some some AVI files also work.

Specifically, AVI files encoded for XviD video with MPEG-1 audio appear to work; I've played those.

High-def MP4 video files will not play despite MP4 being listed as a valid format for audio and the subtype being listed (MPEG-4) by Pioneer as a valid decoding option.

No, it definitely is fine with multiple types of files on one device, and USB1 and 2 are interchangeable. 

I have a 120GB NTFS-formatted SSD on USB1.  Works fine.

Note that the NEX units are fairly restricted on what video formats they will play.  Specifically, WMV/H.264 and DivX are listed as "compatible", as is MKV/FLV (!)

Although not explicitly listed at least some some AVI files also work.

Specifically, AVI files encoded for XviD video with MPEG-1 audio appear to work; I've played those.

High-def MP4 video files will not play despite MP4 being listed as a valid format for audio and the subtype being listed (MPEG-4) by Pioneer as a valid decoding option.

I have MPEG 4 movies on my sd card and they have no problem playing, they look fantastic.

May be a bitrate problem then.  They're VERY high bitrate in the cases I've tried, and they don't work.  They're also more than 2G in size.

Are yours on and sd card or a USB drive? That could be the difference mine are all on sd card and just about 1.8 gig

Are yours on and sd card or a USB drive? That could be the difference mine are all on sd card and just about 1.8 gig

I checked format compatibility with an SD card.  I've not seen any difference between the two; if it will play on the SD card it will also on the USB-attached SSD in my experience.