AVIC411.com

AutoCal -- Use a GOOD microphone

Actually you can.

With AutoEQ on the manual equalization is on top of the automatic profile..... which is quite nice!

From everything I can determine the head unit expects a flat microphone on the auto-cal input (which of course is a pipe dream, but it's far better for them to do that than to try to invert the response curve of a particular other mic!) -- so the better your mic is, the better your autocal results.

I'm pretty confident in my ears. auto eq'ing doesn't really make sense to me personally. in music and audio post no one auto eq's anything in this application! i can see using the mic for time alignment but it would take me less time setting the eq on my own then to plug in a mic and press a button. there are a number of listening standards music and post studios use. pretty easy to do the same thing in a car. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty confident in my ears. auto eq'ing doesn't really make sense to me personally. in music and audio post no one auto eq's anything in this application! i can see using the mic for time alignment but it would take me less time setting the eq on my own then to plug in a mic and press a button. there are a number of listening standards music and post studios use. pretty easy to do the same thing in a car. 

Totally disagree, why do high end stereo's come with a mic and detail the set up procedures for adjusting to room acoustics ei my reciever the Pioneer Elite VSX52-TX?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-52TX

My ears are quite good as well but the auto-EQ can set the front and back EQ separately (or at least it appears to be able to, as it's measuring both separately!) and there is no way to do that manually!

Well, not unless you have a rather expensive outboard 4-channel (or 5-channel) EQ anyway.

That's one of the big challenges in a car -- the front and rear speakers are going to have materially-different frequency response curves due to the doors they're mounted in and other acoustic factors in the vehicle.

My ears are quite good as well but the auto-EQ can set the front and back EQ separately (or at least it appears to be able to, as it's measuring both separately!) and there is no way to do that manually!

Well, not unless you have a rather expensive outboard 4-channel (or 5-channel) EQ anyway.

That's one of the big challenges in a car -- the front and rear speakers are going to have materially-different frequency response curves due to the doors they're mounted in and other acoustic factors in the vehicle.

Exactly the reason high end home audio has room acoustic setup called Mcacc by Pioneer   http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/98/tech/AVAmplifierReceiver/AF_MCACC.html

would this mic be a better choice than the pioneer mc20,

Audio-Technica ATR-4697 Boundary Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone, it has its own battery, and the right plug? it is on amazon for $19.72

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR-4697-Omnidirectional-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B002GR7INW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=05X72DJECN8BHFHP8X1B

The AT822 is a stereo XY which always uses a pair card or hyper card. when you cal something you need to cal from a single point omni mic because they don't have any proximity effect and reproduce freq content accurately in any give space. I don't know if you ever have looked at freq curves for mics. i don't know anyone would consider AT822 flat or almost  http://www.microphone-data.com/microphones/at822/!!! it is also not very sensitive and has a very low output. 

Totally disagree, why do high end stereo's come with a mic and detail the set up procedures for adjusting to room acoustics ei my reciever the Pioneer Elite VSX52-TX?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-52TX

I think you have a misconception of what a "high end receiver" is. There is just no such thing. when i here high end receiver i think audiophile. ask any one of those audiophile guys if they EQ inserted their playback chain or if a mic came with any of their components. the answer will be no. the proper approach would be treat your room and then make adjustments to your playback system. As far as i know there are not too many hifi EQ's out there. Pioneer makes low end consumer stereo products that appeal to people that one box that does it all. jack of all trades master of none. when you cal a room like that it limits the performance of monitors. your not getting accurate playback. your room would sound 1000 times better it you properly treated it for standing freqs and took the time to understand what your receiver is actually doing and how it cals the system. 

You are slightly incorrect. the freq response of the rear speakers doesn't change at all. The rear are usually placed in a high absorption area, low to between the front and rear seats. so you have a perceived sense that your speaker produce not enough high end. you may have some resonate freqs inside the door but really come on, if your concerned about that your music is either too loud which you wouldn't even hear that issue or you have the cheapest POS car in the world! honestly if that is of great concern you should treat your car doors. acoustic conditions will constantly change in a car. 

as i said before i am very confident in my ears as i use them every day to make a living. personally i think auto EQ is a waste of time. 

I rather find the tone of your post CONDESCENDING, pompous and slightly malicious. I guess to you Pioneer products just basically suck. Why are you even on this forum?

this is a forum to help people out. if someone is wrong i will surely let them know if have some knowledge in that related field (it just so happens i do). do you really think my comments are " malicious ". please help me understand why you think that way. there are strong options everywhere in life. there is nothing condescending about that and I'm sorry you feel that way. and yes i think most of Pioneer are not great and it totally show when you consider how they treat their customers and run their company. What i do like are their navi units. i have always been a fan of them. 

Im not going to pic out the crud here and there, I may have used the wrong terms "high end" and "nearly flat" but I dont think they warrented the negativity here. MY OPINION is that the $ 700-1000 price range is a mid range reciever and pioneer makes some of the best in that range, also for car audio no one right now can touch the 4000 nex from any other company again my OPINION. If there is another unit with out NAV that is better and has ever single feature, please let me know?

A little back gound on me I play guitar, bass and drums. Classic rock to new wave. I have a 16 track recorder and have made a few full lenght albums on it with my band and others mind you not professional but ive learned the basics or recording, compression, effects and EQ.

Im not going to pic out the crud here and there, I may have used the wrong terms "high end" and "nearly flat" but I dont think they warrented the negativity here. MY OPINION is that the $ 700-1000 price range is a mid range reciever and pioneer makes some of the best in that range, also for car audio no one right now can touch the 4000 nex from any other company again my OPINION. If there is another unit with out NAV that is better and has ever single feature, please let me know?

A little back gound on me I play guitar, bass and drums. Classic rock to new wave. I have a 16 track recorder and have made a few full lenght albums on it with my band and others mind you not professional but ive learned the basics or recording, compression, effects and EQ.

by no means was i trying to single anyone out. i think we just have a difference in opinion. i am a sound editor / recordist. i have what i would consider a large investment in microphones, others would say small. in fact sitting in front me as i write this there are two MKH 80 and a MKH 800. the 80's when introduced were around $8k each and the 800's were $6k. i paid pretty close near those prices and i am very humbled to be able to own such mics. those are just a few of the mics i own. a decent recording studio would have a lot more as you know. but its really about the tools we pick to do the job. i think a proper understanding and a bit of confidence goes a long way and can only go to improve your ability to chose and use the right tool for the job! I'm saying take a step back and pause. don't get caught thinking tech solves every issue. sometimes there are just no short cuts to get things done.