AVIC411.com

NEX Annoyances

I know there is a problem thread, but starting this to vent some of my frustrations at what are silly design decisions...

1. Can't jump back to the map screen from the touchscreen while in music mode. From maps, I can touch the source icon at the bottom of the map and jump into whatever source is playing. Once in that source, I can't touch the street shown at the bottom of the map and jump back to map. 

2. Have to back your way out of menu structure from iPod. Once I get to a song, I have to back out through, Albums>Artist, etc. I can't just back right out to Artists, etc. 

I had a third, but it's late. I'm sure I'll edit this tomorrow. 

Why do you need to use the touchscreen to swap screens when there are hard buttons next to the screen? I just wish there was one button to swap the functions, instead of having to remember, ok, I'm in the GPS so I have to hit "mode"...ok now I'm in the radio so I have to hit "map".

I've actually been meaning to start this thread for awhile myself! Sometimes it's hard to decide if it's a "problem" or an "annoyance" though! Right now my biggest annoyance is the GPS volume. It doesn't seem to be affected by the Master volume or ASL settings at all. The default volume is entirely too loud for around town driving (when everything else is perfect), so I dropped it all the way down to about 40%. But then at highway speeds I can barely hear it, while I barely need to change the other sources due to ASL. But even if I crank up the master volume it has no effect on the nav. And on top of that, if I need to quiet it down or even mute (say my passenger is on the phone), you can't! She just blasts in everyone's ear! A single volume setting no matter what is NOT appropriate!

Why do you need to use the touchscreen to swap screens when there are hard buttons next to the screen? I just wish there was one button to swap the functions, instead of having to remember, ok, I'm in the GPS so I have to hit "mode"...ok now I'm in the radio so I have to hit "map".

But not having one button/toggle is the issue. When in a music screen we should just be able to touch the current street name displayed at the bottom of the screen and go right back into the map. This to me is easier than looking for the hard button. You can touch the song name and get out of nav, so why not vice versa.

This is a minor annoyance, but having to touch individual "Up" arrows when navigating folders is a little too specific. There is an entire banner area where the arrow is. Let us just touch anywhere in the banner instead of the arrow. The same applies for touching the song while in Nav. Why not just be able to touch anywhere in the song title, instead you have to hit the little music note. 

Posted this on another thread, but when we face the inevitable car battery replacement, it will lose the following when it loses power:

1.  AM/FM presets (all other including XM are saved, but not AM/FM)

2.  Sound/Equalizer Settings

3.  Back-up Camera Settings including parking guides

Those three things will reset to default.  All other settings including wallpaper, theme, LED settings, bluetooth and phone, etc. are somehow stored.  If saves those, why can't it just save everything?

There is a navigation volume adjustment in the navigation tools menu.

Unless there's another one that I'm missing, that's the setting I already referred to. It sets the nav volume to a single volume, so no matter what you have the master volume set to, it ALWAYS plays at that volume. A comfortable volume for slower city driving is not even audible at highway speeds (especially in a car with a lot of road noise like mine).

Posted this on another thread, but when we face the inevitable car battery replacement, it will lose the following when it loses power:

1.  AM/FM presets (all other including XM are saved, but not AM/FM)

2.  Sound/Equalizer Settings

3.  Back-up Camera Settings including parking guides

Those three things will reset to default.  All other settings including wallpaper, theme, LED settings, bluetooth and phone, etc. are somehow stored.  If saves those, why can't it just save everything?

Two other items that are oddly reset is the custom order of icons on the home screen (really, really arbitrary) and the source volume level, which I suppose is covered under #2, now that I think about it.