AVIC411.com

CarPlay and AppRadio mode

Is it possible to connect an iPhone 5 via CarPlay and also having an iPod via AppRadio mode on a NEX 8000?

If I sorted things out right, the iPhone 5 needs only a lightning to USB cable, but what about iPod?

Getting different answers, could it be CA-IW.201s or CD-IU201S (for audio, video and AppRadio)?

Is it possible to connect an iPhone 5 via CarPlay and also having an iPod via AppRadio mode on a NEX 8000?

If I sorted things out right, the iPhone 5 needs only a lightning to USB cable, but what about iPod?

Getting different answers, could it be CA-IW.201s or CD-IU201S (for audio, video and AppRadio)?

Plug your phone into USB 1 with the normal lightning cable

Plug your iPod into USB using a normal iPod cable

In settings on the pioneer chose USB connection in smartphone settings and you have your desired setup.

USB 1 wil show as iPod 1

USB 2 will show as iPod 2

You will also have access to aha, and pandora as long as you have all the necessary apps downloaded to your iPhone.

At the moment AppRadio needs your iPhone / iPod in USB1. Nobody knows until release how CarPlay will work, it may also need to be in USB1.

Appradio mode does not even need the hdmi plugged into either of the USB ports. The only thing it does for the phone is provide power.

Right now in my car it's plugged into USB 2 and works fine. You could wire your own USB power source if you liked and it too would work just as well.

What kind of iPod are we talking about? An iPod touch that you're gonna pair to your phone for data? Or a simple Ipod classic that you want to play music from?

If it's the second answer you're in luck. Just plug the iPod and the iPhone into the different USB ports and set the car to USB iPhone mode.

The first mode I doubt will work. This one won't be known until Carplay actually launches.

Appradio mode does not even need the hdmi plugged into either of the USB ports. The only thing it does for the phone is provide power.

Right now in my car it's plugged into USB 2 and works fine. You could wire your own USB power source if you liked and it too would work just as well.

Fair point, I wonder why the installation manual specifically shows USB1 when discussing connecting via the HDMI port?

Anyway I do wonder what will happen to AppRadio as the current location for it's icon on the main screen is where the CarPlay icon seems to be?

I dont think this will work, appradio has to be setup via smartphone setup to av adapter, carplay will have to be setup as usb. This would be like hooking up two smartphones, and since appradio uses bluetooth to communicate, it would be really nice to have it all available.

I dont think this will work, appradio has to be setup via smartphone setup to av adapter, carplay will have to be setup as usb. This would be like hooking up two smartphones, and since appradio uses bluetooth to communicate, it would be really nice to have it all available.

You are assuming that is how it will be setup. The fact is no one knows what will need to be done to have Car Play working but it is assumed you wont be able to use both together. We wont know until the firmware is released so lets all please wait until then before we start posting how it will work.

What kind of iPod are we talking about? An iPod touch that you're gonna pair to your phone for data? Or a simple Ipod classic that you want to play music from?

If it's the second answer you're in luck. Just plug the iPod and the iPhone into the different USB ports and set the car to USB iPhone mode.

The first mode I doubt will work. This one won't be known until Carplay actually launches.

I've got a Classic. Good do know that it is possible to get this combo to work. Thanks for all answers.

How about the cable to iPod, wich will work?

You are assuming that is how it will be setup. The fact is no one knows what will need to be done to have Car Play working but it is assumed you wont be able to use both together. We wont know until the firmware is released so lets all please wait until then before we start posting how it will work.

Especially since one thing we do know about Carplay is that it is a USB connection method while Appradio uses the digital av and Bluetooth connection. So to switch you'd have to have two different cables and two different data interfaces, so you can't switch between them on the fly from just a menu.

Currently to switch between the modes the radio does support requires going into the menus and actually switching modes. Not the fastest process. That might change with the update, but I doubt it.