AVIC411.com

Uh Oh... Official news from Pioneer regarding NEX update

this is NOT for carplay... this is avicsync. So no not out of summer. Apples event is coming up. carplay is all about apple not pioneer, I guarantee it. 

I was angry while reading the email, because they suggest using inrix app or waze and as far as I know that needs to be used in app radio mode, so basically I should have just purchased the 4000nex and said forget built in NAV with traffic.

Dear Valued Pioneer Customer:

We would like to advise you regarding the AVICSYNC feature update for Pioneer NEX models.   Pioneer had anticipated that the update would be available in spring for all NEX models with embedded navigation (AVIC-5000NEX, AVIC-6000NEX, AVIC-7000NEX, and AVIC-8000NEX).  With a connected smartphone, AVICSYNC would provide a simplified interface for accessing subscription-based services such as traffic, local search, weather, and gas prices.

Unfortunately the update for AVICSYNC has been delayed, and the revised release timing is expected to be by the end of this year.  While the AVICSYNC enhancements are not central to the functionality of NEX navigation products, Pioneer wishes to explain alternative solutions currently available.  With the NEX product in AppRadio Mode1 and connected to a compatible iPhone or Samsung Galaxy phone2, services can be obtained through the below AppRadio Mode compatible third party applications3 available through the iTunes App Store and Google Play:

Services    Apps
Live traffic updates     INRIX®, Waze®
Weather     CommuteWX
Parking locations and pricing    Parkopedia®
Fuel pricing and POI updates    Waze, ExtraMile
AVICSYNC is intended to enable access to the above types of services from one place.  Pioneer regrets that we are not able to provide this feature as previously scheduled.  We hope the above services will be useful in the interim.  If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 1-800-421-1404, Monday through Friday, 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM and 3:30 PM - 7:00 PM (Eastern Time), excluding holidays, or by email through http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/contact/.

Sincerely,

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.

As far as I know it's two separate "updates" but one is firmware for the unit and the other is an app for your phone. 

Carplay will be a firmware update for the unit. 

Avicsync (what the email is about) is an app that runs on your phone. 

Please correct me if I am wrong. 

My understanding is that AVICSYNC is an app, but the NEX needs an update to support the app. The email specifically calls it a "feature update" for the NEX.

AVICSYNC, MaestroRR, and CarPlay were all promised early summer. I'd be surprised if they all don't come as part of one update package.

I could be wrong though! :-). Honestly, I think only Pioneer knows.

ha i don't think they do. at least it seems like they are starting to feel the pressure from their customers and are making an attempt to keep us filled in even if they aren't actually telling us anything.

I figured they said "feature update" because the app itself will give those "features".  <_<