AVIC411.com

CarPlay issues please help

Hey everyone, 

I joined the forum due to issues that I'm having with my AVIC-8000NEX, and to keep up to date on what's going on with the NEX line. First off, today I downloaded Version 1.06 then right after I downloaded 1.08 firmware. I looked for Car Play all over the radio and I can't find the app, and it won't inititiate when I plug in the lightning chord. ANy input would be great. 

Number 2, eversince I've bought the unit,  going in and out of apps the radio has a little lag here and there, and sometimes when I tap  a pre-set or to use an app I have to hit it harder. Am I having issues here? I just bought it brand new in September, spent alot of money getting installed too. So I'm kinda aggravated too. 

checklist to make sure carplay will work

You have an iPhone 5 or newer

Your headunit is running version 1.06 of the firmware or newer

Under Input/output setting-Smartphone setup connection is set to usb with carplay on

You have a USB to lightning cable plugged into USB 1 on your headunit

You are running iOS 7.1 or newer on your phone.  

If you answer yes to all questions carplay should be working. If there is somewhere you don't have it setup exactly like this, that is most likely your problem area. 

Make sure WIFI is turned off on your phone too. I know I confirmed recently that at least with version 1.08 CarPlay will not run if WIFI is turned on with the iPhone 6.

Mine works fine with WiFi on (iPhone 6).  However, if the phone is still close enough to my router to stay connected, but not close enough to get a decent enough signal to transfer data well, I cannot listen to anything streaming (and it will appear to hang).  Once I drive off and the phone drops the WiFi connection to my router, and switches to LTE, the music will start playing just fine.

Mine works fine with WiFi on (iPhone 6).  However, if the phone is still close enough to my router to stay connected, but not close enough to get a decent enough signal to transfer data well, I cannot listen to anything streaming (and it will appear to hang).  Once I drive off and the phone drops the WiFi connection to my router, and switches to LTE, the music will start playing just fine.

Where I live there is a LOT of public WIFI available, so with it turned on it creates nothing but constant problems as it's trying to connect constantly. I've tried it multiple time in multiple places... if WIFI is turned on, I don't even get the CarPlay logo on the home screen... just the APPS logo. Once I turn WIFI off, all is fine.

Where I live there is a LOT of public WIFI available, so with it turned on it creates nothing but constant problems as it's trying to connect constantly. I've tried it multiple time in multiple places... if WIFI is turned on, I don't even get the CarPlay logo on the home screen... just the APPS logo. Once I turn WIFI off, all is fine.

You can turn off auto connect for WiFi on your phone. I do this for security reasons, as I want to know what WiFi I am connected to.

Make sure you're using an Apple approved Lightning cable that does data/charge (instead of just charge).

A bad cable can cause problems, either in getting CarPlay to kick in, or in keeping it connected.

Griffin makes the best quality Lightning cables, coiled and very thick. Perfect for tucking away in your console.

http://9to5toys.com/2013/09/19/the-best-apple-certified-mfi-lightning-cables-in-various-lengths-colors-and-styles/

griffin-coiled-lightning-cable.png

Ok everyone, under settings the I didn't select Iphone/Ipod settings. So, CarPlay works great until I tried it the second time. Second time I got into my car to actually try it out, and the screen went from the Pioneer loading screen to the a flat screen. I had to turn off the car for a second and turn it back on before I got it up and running again. It's not running smooth at all, there's a  delay (intermittent issue) with hitting buttons and navigating through the radio? What should I do?

• 1 month later...

Make sure WIFI is turned off on your phone too. I know I confirmed recently that at least with version 1.08 CarPlay will not run if WIFI is turned on with the iPhone 6.

I've been using Carplay with an iPhone 6, iOS 8.1, Pioneer firmware 1.08, and I have WiFi turned on all of the time.  It has not affected Carplay in the least.  Mine works perfectly.

You can turn off auto connect for WiFi on your phone. I do this for security reasons, as I want to know what WiFi I am connected to.

I agree with TheEdge regarding auto connect to Wifi for security reasons.  That said, having the Wifi turned on hasn't caused any problem for me regarding CarPlay.  Properly connected, either through USB1 or through the HDMI/Apple Digital adaptor (using USB2) seems to work seamlessly for me.  I hop in my truck, connect the iPhone (while still on WiFi), back out of my driveway, and it eventually switches to LTE as I drive away and lose the WiFi signal.  I've not had any issues.  One must note the differences in the connection, though.  The 8000 seems to identify connections to USB1 (and with Bluetooth, if not connected by wire) very well and selects it; however, one must manually select the HDMI connection (in my experience).  I don't find much reason to use the HDMI connection, unless you want to do video from the iPhone, in which case, you'll need to perform the "bypass" shown in other parts of this forum.  While it is cool to be able to view video on the head unit, I don't recommend it for safety considerations (i.e., when the vehicle is in motion).

hey, I can send you a new thread but I do have issue with carplay.

i have iphone 5s / 8.1.2 iOS / 6000nex with 1.08 firmware

I had so much trouble I have restored the phone, installed latest iOS and still doesn't work.  WiFi or not, it doesn't even connect to show carplay icons.

when lightning (OEM) is connected, phone goes "CarPlay" then 6000nex doesn't move....and few other times, it shows CarPlay on the left corner at home screen.  when CarPlay is touched...nothing.

so I decided to ask favors of my co workers, iPhone5, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus, all work - connected with no problem and show CarPlay icons.  

in couple minutes, at 1:30pm 12/10/14, Apple engineer (could be Genius manager, I donno) will call me and discuss / resolve this issue. 

wish me luck! 

hey, I can send you a new thread but I do have issue with carplay.

i have iphone 5s / 8.1.2 iOS / 6000nex with 1.08 firmware

I had so much trouble I have restored the phone, installed latest iOS and still doesn't work.  WiFi or not, it doesn't even connect to show carplay icons.

when lightning (OEM) is connected, phone goes "CarPlay" then 6000nex doesn't move....and few other times, it shows CarPlay on the left corner at home screen.  when CarPlay is touched...nothing.

so I decided to ask favors of my co workers, iPhone5, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus, all work - connected with no problem and show CarPlay icons.  

in couple minutes, at 1:30pm 12/10/14, Apple engineer (could be Genius manager, I donno) will call me and discuss / resolve this issue. 

wish me luck! 

The iPhone 5s is CarPlay compatible, have you tried replacing the cable?

The #1 problem with CarPlay is bad cables. Try a new cable and see.

The iPhone 5s is CarPlay compatible, have you tried replacing the cable?

The #1 problem with CarPlay is bad cables. Try a new cable and see.

Cable is OEM.  Tried with other OEM i bought and it's still same. All other iphones work with cables i have.  

so I have brought this issue over to Apple and they are in the works of investigation right now.  I hope they just send replacement iphone!