AVIC411.com

Please help-installed nex4000 and CarPlay won't download

I installed the nex4000. I have cord in the top USB port (usb1). I have downloaded the 1.08 firmware update to a usb thumb drive. It is the appropriate format (fat32) I think. It loads onto usb drive then I uncompress it. It creates the folder on my drive. I plug into my nex4000 and it says unreadable. Frustrated...any ideas? I need some help. Thanks in advance.

You need to unzip the folder on your computer, then copy only the resulting folder (which will be called AVIC5000NEX) to the USB stick.  There should not be any other files on the USB stick.  

Plug the USB stick into USB1 on the NEX, then follow the firmware update instructions which are located on the same site as the firmware download.

I have the 6000 NEX and I can tell you that it would not recognize a USB thumb-drive or a micro SD card larger than 32 gb. Once I copied the folder onto a 32 gb drive it found and read the folder fine. I only realized because I purchased some 64 gb micro sd cards on sale thinking I could put my audio books and music collections on them and the unit couldn't see them.

Left them in the folder to do mine. Worked fine. Just downloaded the zip and extracted on my computer then copied the resulting folder onto a 32gb micro sd (or thumb drive on the extension cable). It could read both as I have and tried both. Just follow the instruction document on the pioneer website step by step and it will be fine. Takes about 10-15 minutes in total. I did it with the engine running (stay in park) for fear of the stupid power save shutting off the stereo and screwing the update.

When you plug the drive in, the NEX will look at the files to see if it can play them (i.e. it is looking for audio files).  When it finds none, it reports back with "unplayable file" or something similar.  At that point, set your audio to off as tekki instructed, then follow the firmware update instructions.

Problem solved...thank you for all the suggestions. As it turns out, the one ground wire slipped out and disconnected. I was messing around and put in a dvd. It would not show a picture no matter if e brake was on or not, in park or not. That got me thinking a wire was loose. Sure enough. I fixed it and right away dvd picture plays, and the grayed out firmware update is no longer grayed out. Downloaded right away and we're good to go. I do have the reported audio issues from the other thread. I did notice that if you place a call, you can't hear other person answer, but if you say hello (or something) after the call connects, you get audio. At least I did when I tested it by calling my son. I'll do more testing and report back.