AVIC411.com

Installation on '01 Pathfinder

Just installed the D3, bluetooth, XM, and iPOD cord in my '01 Pathfinder. Put a couple of photos here for you to see if you'd like. A few notes:

Bought radio and parts online, got a better deal than in a 4-hour drive from where I live. I also got a really good deal installing the D3 from HappyEar in Watertown NY (I'm not advertising, they just did a good job). They even installed a lockout switch for the bypass without me even asking. Great job.

The Bluetooth (BTB100) works fine. I had to adjust the volume on my phone a bit, but the location (see photo) in the dash is actually pretty good. Passenger won't be able to talk very well, but I'm mainly concerned with my ability to talk. Reception during several phonecalls was perfect and no echo reduction needed. When you install several add-ons from Pioneer, you daisy-chain them together using the BUS-cords and in/out ports on the back. The tech said that it's a very simple design and it now proves itself.

The XM worked flawlessly as well. iPOD cord is really long, but I just coiled it back into the dash behind the glove-box. As soon as my wife plugged her iPOD into the dash, it recognized it instantly and she was able to play podcasts, video (had to turn on "video out" on the iPOD first) and music perfectly. Great built-in seamless integration. Haven't tried my Nano yet, but that's next.

About the background...first--thanks to those who've posted backgrounds on the Custom Background forum. Really appreciate it! I had a bit of trouble getting the D3 to recognize the disk initially, but after reading about 10 threads about doing it, I found that I didn't "close the disk" for any CD-ROM device to read. Used plain Roxio CD Creator and once I closed the disk...perfect integration. By the way, if you're looking for info on putting in a new background, use tjdehya's post on Mon Aug 14 in the thread announcing how to make backgrounds...very helpful and right on target for the D3 although it wasn't out when he posted his reply.

Okay, that's all. Thanks for all the help. Great forum and great advice.

-Spookysoldier

post-5358-12872751847788_thumb.jpg

post-5358-12872751848438_thumb.jpg

post-5358-12872751848981_thumb.jpg

post-5358-12872751849559_thumb.jpg

post-5358-12872751850137_thumb.jpg

post-5358-12872751850671_thumb.jpg

Hey spooky-

Sounds like the install went well... congrats.

Also, do you have any problems seeing the screen because its flat mounted into the dash? I've been thinking about swapping out my D2 for the D3, but I keep my D2 on an angle to make it easier to see because its lower in the dash in the Pathy than in most cars.

What do you think?

Sportsfan21--

I was worried about the installation angle as well...thought about the Eclipse system or a more expensive pioneer a million times before going for the new D3. In the end, it worked out just fine. Not only can I see just fine, but the angle keeps the screen out of sight from others outside the vehicle (works well when my wife wants to watch her iPOD video and we don't want to get pulled over), and since it's LCD...the viewing angle instructions are listed below from the Instruction Manual:

Due to its construction, the view angle of the LCD

screen is limited. The viewing angle (vertical and

horizontal) can be increased, however, by using

Brightness to adjust the black density of the

video. When using for the first time, adjust the

black density in accordance with the viewing

angle (vertical and horizontal) to adjust for clear

viewing. Dimmer can also be used to adjust the

brightness of the LCD screen itself to suit your

personal preference.

On a personal note, I have found most LCD screens publish a viewing angle between 150-178 degrees, which means that the small screen is visible in the right light (see paragraph above) easily from the side. I had no issues with daylight hampering my vision of the directions or video, and at night you can select a dimmer view if you want, or you can even black out the screen as well. I haven't played with it that much, but in the little time I've had it installed...the angle either vertical or horizontal isn't that big of a deal. In the installation manual, however, they indicate that you can install the unit up to 10 degrees horizontally (must correct by 5 degrees using software if you install it this way, page 20 of the attached manual) and up to 30 degrees vertically. Might be a good solution for your Pathfinder install. Hope this helps.

-Spookysoldier

AVIC-D3 Installation Manual.pdf

XMX250--

Although the radio comes with a tuner for standard AM/FM, the XM is really nice to have. My only complaint about the XM is that it takes a bit for each screen shot of the list of stations to load when "paging down" using a different mode than the "list" view of stations (enables you to page by genre rather than by numbered stations in increasing numbers). I think the reason for this is that it loads a thumbnail of each station's ID which takes about 2-3 seconds to load if the genre has a lot of stations under it (like "rock" or "classical"). But, it was totally worth it. The XM comes in clear as day, and it's really nice to listen to what I want rather than to have a band like The Killers followed by Regina Spektor (that's a sin).

About Bluetooth, there are great threads about waiting for BTB200 rather than installing the BTB100 that I installed. I think (from reading the threads) that the BTB200 would be a better buy, although a little pricier. The main reason is better connection to bluetooth enabled phones and streaming bluetooth media from enabled devices to your D3 or other navigation system. The installer tried to link his phone, but it didn't work (to the BTB100 and D3). Mine immediately was recognized and I registered easily with the BTB100. I have the Sanyo Katana...been out for awhile now. The biggest thing I researched was whether my phone would allow remote operation by another bluetooth device before I purchased the BTB100. It does, and it works flawlessly. Integrated my phonebook in a matter of seconds (read page 107 in the instruction manual) after registering the phone. It scrolls the names when you hit a down or up arrow, but it didn't grab my filing system all that well and the names aren't in the right order. No worries though, as my phone has voice-recognition for name dial and I just use the phone's recognition feature through the D3's voice-dial unless I'm at a red light or I have a passenger to assist me (in my 1 day of install now...I may change my mind on this later). You can always edit the names for easier filing later if you want to as well.

All in all, I'm really glad I got the BTB100 installed. I was really hesitant and even prepared for an RMA number to return it to the distributer as I didn't think I wanted it after all...I'm glad I didn't do that. The install was really easy, the integration to my phone perfect, and the voice better than my bluetooth earpiece according to family.

--Spookysoldier

Just wondering with the btb100. Do you see the cell service and cell battery on the d3. also have you made any calls from the unit.

I'm having some problems with mine. Installed everything. It connects to my phone. but for some reason the mic is really low. (mic located on sun-visor) No one can hear me. even if i tap the mic its still pretty low.

Just wondering if you have any ideas? Thanks

Hi bladesrx,

If you look on page 101 of the D3 manual, it says that you are supposed to balance the volume between both your phone and the BTB100 (D3), so I did so by upping the volume on my phone and the mic came through great. Positioning is critical, make sure it's facing you and no more than about 2.5 feet away. It's really directional, so make sure it's facing you.

About the cell service and battery indicator--that's not displayed on your D3, only the bluetooth device numbers can be viewed from the D3 (like "Katana" on mine). So, you'll have to check your phone for both of those. The manual for the BTB100 has different features, more explanations listed than the D3's manual, I'd recommend giving that a once-over before proceeding further.

My BTB100 integrated seamlessly, and it works like a charm. I just have to talk facing forward, not while swiveling my head in traffic...so I often tell my callers "hang on a second" while I negotiate across lanes. It works great for me though.

Spookysoldier