AVIC411.com

Told by an installer that bluetooth no good for D3

Hi guys, I been follow the discussion here on the D3 as I'm in line to have it installed soon. I was told that the bluetooth function is not the same on the D3 and that you have to still use the phone for puting it in to voice mode for voice dialing because the D3 does not respond to voice commands.

Further he said I would still need to have the phone in a place where the phones mic could pick up my voice. He's saying that the bluetooth operation on the D3 is technically not totally hands free as Pioneer caims that it is. He basing this on his attending the training sessions with Pioneer. He goes on saying that originally they advertised it as having the the same function as the other units, but went a different route when they released it.

To get total hands free operation he suggested to look into getting I Parrot or Raytel system and to aviod the D3's bluetooth. Not that I really want to have another thing mounted on my dash.

So what's the truth. Am I bummed if I get the bluetooth option and I still have to jumble with my phone? Can anybody that is using the D3 bluetooth option give some info on how it works for them. Is it like he said or is this just him not having up to date info on the D3.

Thanks,

well, pioneer's bluetooth solution in comparison to others is really not a solution, but more of another problem. Pioneer lacks the capability for such things like phone book transfer, voice dialing. these things are standard on say the parrot ck3200 or even acura's bluetooth. I as once in the same boat and bought the avic unit I did solely for bluetooth capability. bad move, because now, theres just so many standard features with other systems.

with that said, I havent used the d3 setup, but I really like acura's system and Parrots system. Raytel is garbage. so short of buy a new car (acura) the parrot is a nice piece.. make sure that you can put a 3 inch square somewhere though, its not to bad, and you really dont even need to touch that display. Also, with the parrot, make sure that you get an up to date firmware flashed unit, some of the prev. versions had a dimming problem, Ive gone through 4 that were that way. Anyways, hope this helps you

well, pioneer's bluetooth solution in comparison to others is really not a solution, but more of another problem. Pioneer lacks the capability for such things like phone book transfer, voice dialing. these things are standard on say the parrot ck3200 or even acura's bluetooth. I as once in the same boat and bought the avic unit I did solely for bluetooth capability. bad move, because now, theres just so many standard features with other systems.

with that said, I havent used the d3 setup, but I really like acura's system and Parrots system. Raytel is garbage. so short of buy a new car (acura) the parrot is a nice piece.. make sure that you can put a 3 inch square somewhere though, its not to bad, and you really dont even need to touch that display. Also, with the parrot, make sure that you get an up to date firmware flashed unit, some of the prev. versions had a dimming problem, Ive gone through 4 that were that way. Anyways, hope this helps you

Thanks much, that sure does help. Can you expand on why you think the Raytel is bad. I've heard great things about them, but then again I have zero experience with BT car stuff.

Thanks again tillithz.

I am using the Pioneer CDBTB100 bluetooth with the D3. Its not as bad as other posters have made it sound. Honestly, I haven't even tried to voice dial yet and never really wanted to, but I will try it out next time I have a chance just for the hell of it. I was however able to transfer my phonebook from both my phones(very easy to do but it does take a little time because its one contact at a time.) Having the interface on the screen is nice so I don't have to have any external devices on my dash or visor. The voice quality on my end is better than the Parrots I have used in the past, not sure how people hear me but nobody has yelled at me yet so it can't be too bad. My only real complaint is that sometimes it doesn't autoconnect, but that apparently is part of the software upgrade that will be on the CDBTB200 so I will likely return mine and switch to that when it comes out. I will let you know if I get the voice dial to work

And by the way, your installer is full of shit. You don't need to enter phone numbers on the phone, you do it from the screen of the D3 either by directly typing in the phone numbers, or using your address book. And you also don't need to have the phone microphone nearby for callers to hear you. The bluetooth kit comes with a microphone that connects to a hideaway box that connects to the D3 via P-bus

If say, your phone wont transfer your phonebook, is there a way that you can actually store phone numbers using the headunit manually?

I just ordered my avic d3 and a btb100. I dont really care about voice dialing as long as i can see a caller ID pop up on the screen and push a button on the head unit to answer while im driving.

Got the D3 installed yesterday. Test drove the system for several hours last night trying everything under the sun to make sure the install and accessories (BTB100, XM, iPOD) worked out. All 3 work great. Bluetooth is pretty impressive. I tap the voice icon on the screen, it operates my phone and I say the name of the person memorized on the phone...it dials. I can punch in numbers on the screen...it dials. I transferred my address book...it remembers and dials. I can call from my phone, and transfer by tapping the phone icon on the D3....it dials. Not sure what you've heard. I think getting an opinion from those that own an AVIC and a pioneer bluetooth adaptor, more specifically the D3 model and the BTB-series if your putting in a D3 is pretty important. Rumors often turn out to be just that. Research the previous threads on this site and you'll see what folks say. I'd recommend waiting until you get the BTB200 if you can wait, it has better adaptability with bluetooth phones and will stream audio and control your phone better if you phone is enabled with remote from another device like mine. Good luck.

--Spookysoldier

And by the way, your installer is full of shit. You don't need to enter phone numbers on the phone, you do it from the screen of the D3 either by directly typing in the phone numbers, or using your address book. And you also don't need to have the phone microphone nearby for callers to hear you. The bluetooth kit comes with a microphone that connects to a hideaway box that connects to the D3 via P-bus

I think I get that he was not completely impressed with how the bluetooth was implemented, so he pretty much is dismissing it. However I'm willing to over look some of it's con's to have it all in one unit and not clutter up my dash with other units. If I have to hit the screen to dial and hang up numbers thats fine. It was the "no mic" business that seemed totally off.

I just got off the phone with Al & Ed's out here and the sales guy called the Pioneer rep for me while on the phone. He comfimed what we already know that he CD-BTB200 is not out yet, and this kit for the D3 does come with a mic for use with phone communications.

I think I'll wait on the BT for now.

Got the D3 installed yesterday. Test drove the system for several hours last night trying everything under the sun to make sure the install and accessories (BTB100, XM, iPOD) worked out. All 3 work great. Bluetooth is pretty impressive. I tap the voice icon on the screen, it operates my phone and I say the name of the person memorized on the phone...it dials. I can punch in numbers on the screen...it dials. I transferred my address book...it remembers and dials. I can call from my phone, and transfer by tapping the phone icon on the D3....it dials. Not sure what you've heard. I think getting an opinion from those that own an AVIC and a pioneer bluetooth adaptor, more specifically the D3 model and the BTB-series if your putting in a D3 is pretty important. Rumors often turn out to be just that. Research the previous threads on this site and you'll see what folks say. I'd recommend waiting until you get the BTB200 if you can wait, it has better adaptability with bluetooth phones and will stream audio and control your phone better if you phone is enabled with remote from another device like mine. Good luck.

--Spookysoldier

That sounds great Spooky. It does all I'd want it to do! Yeah I big "GrainOSalt" when dealing with this stuff. I think I heard April on the CD-BTB200. So we'll see.

Thanks guys,

the ironic thing is, pioneer.. is the really the only one that it matters what phone your using, and the old line of 'it has alot to do with the phone...' is a downfall for only pioneer. Even with verizon and some cell phone providers disabling things like the obex and other bluetooth features, pioneer seems to be the only one suseptable to these problems. I do hope the bluetooth from pioneer is better then what people have said. so far