AVIC411.com

Z-1 install with power amps

Has anyone out there installed a Z-1 with the audio running through power amps? I had my Z-1 installed in a standard 2006 F-250 truck sound system and everything worked fine. I now have removed it and have installed it in a 2005 F-250 that had a Kenwood head unit with 2 Diamond amps powering the front speakers and 2 12" sub woofers. I have checked the wiring over and over and I get this horrible load throbing noise as soon as the Z-1 unit boots up. The Diamond tech thought it be a ground issue but that appears to check out. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Tom
My speakers are driven by JL Audio amps without any problems. How long does the sound last? Is it a quick 'thump' or does it continue for a few seconds? Are you driving the amps using the high level or low level outputs of the Z1? Are you using the correct turn on lead for the amps? Are you sure that none of the unused wires from the wiring harnesses are accidentally grounding to any metal behind the head unit? These are just a few things that come to mind.
[quote name="logan0171"]My speakers are driven by JL Audio amps without any problems. How long does the sound last? Is it a quick 'thump' or does it continue for a few seconds? Are you driving the amps using the high level or low level outputs of the Z1? Are you using the correct turn on lead for the amps? Are you sure that none of the unused wires from the wiring harnesses are accidentally grounding to any metal behind the head unit? These are just a few things that come to mind.[/quote]

Thanks Logan0171
The loud thumping and buzzing is constant and seems to be coming only from the powered speakers. It is so load it's hard to tell. Sometimes the music comes out for a brief second then it starts. The way the truck came wired, it's setup with hi-level ouputs for the fronts and subs and the rears are low level. I'm using the blue/white system control lead for the amps. I've double checked all the un-used wires to make sure they are not touching anything.
Here is a section from the install manual

"Since a unique BPTL circuit is employed, do not directly ground the (-) side of the speaker lead or connect the (-) sides of the speaker leads together. Be sure to connect the (-) side of the speaker lead to the (-) side of the speaker lead on this navigation system."

Perhaps your negative on the high level outputs are grounded somewhere or joined together?
[quote name="Bongada"]Has anyone out there installed a Z-1 with the audio running through power amps? I had my Z-1 installed in a standard 2006 F-250 truck sound system and everything worked fine. I now have removed it and have installed it in a 2005 F-250 that had a Kenwood head unit with 2 Diamond amps powering the front speakers and 2 12" sub woofers. I have checked the wiring over and over and I get this horrible load throbing noise as soon as the Z-1 unit boots up. The Diamond tech thought it be a ground issue but that appears to check out. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Tom[/quote]

If it's not too much trouble, try the star grounding setup. Run a 10 gauge ground lead from the same ground as the amplifers, then run that to the Z1 and whatever else is connected to it. Do not use the original stereo's ground anymore. I had the same issue at first and found that there is a difference in ground potential between the OEM stereo ground and chassis ground. If this doesn't fix it 100%, install a ground loop isolator. The one from PAC seems to be the best I've tried.
[quote name="G_Man"] [quote name="Bongada"]Has anyone out there installed a Z-1 with the audio running through power amps? I had my Z-1 installed in a standard 2006 F-250 truck sound system and everything worked fine. I now have removed it and have installed it in a 2005 F-250 that had a Kenwood head unit with 2 Diamond amps powering the front speakers and 2 12" sub woofers. I have checked the wiring over and over and I get this horrible load throbing noise as soon as the Z-1 unit boots up. The Diamond tech thought it be a ground issue but that appears to check out. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Tom[/quote]

If it's not too much trouble, try the star grounding setup. Run a 10 gauge ground lead from the same ground as the amplifers, then run that to the Z1 and whatever else is connected to it. Do not use the original stereo's ground anymore. I had the same issue at first and found that there is a difference in ground potential between the OEM stereo ground and chassis ground. If this doesn't fix it 100%, install a ground loop isolator. The one from PAC seems to be the best I've tried.[/quote]

Thanks guys
I was able to see that 2 speaker common leads back near the power amps were wired together. I'm off to Home Depot in the morning to get a large torx bit so I can take off the back cab panel and get to the wires. If that doesn't work, I'll try G-man's ground suggestion. I'll let everyone know what happens for future reference. Thank you guys for all your help.
[quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="G_Man"] [quote name="Bongada"]Has anyone out there installed a Z-1 with the audio running through power amps? I had my Z-1 installed in a standard 2006 F-250 truck sound system and everything worked fine. I now have removed it and have installed it in a 2005 F-250 that had a Kenwood head unit with 2 Diamond amps powering the front speakers and 2 12" sub woofers. I have checked the wiring over and over and I get this horrible load throbing noise as soon as the Z-1 unit boots up. The Diamond tech thought it be a ground issue but that appears to check out. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Tom[/quote]

If it's not too much trouble, try the star grounding setup. Run a 10 gauge ground lead from the same ground as the amplifers, then run that to the Z1 and whatever else is connected to it. Do not use the original stereo's ground anymore. I had the same issue at first and found that there is a difference in ground potential between the OEM stereo ground and chassis ground. If this doesn't fix it 100%, install a ground loop isolator. The one from PAC seems to be the best I've tried.[/quote]

Thanks guys
I was able to see that 2 speaker common leads back near the power amps were wired together. I'm off to Home Depot in the morning to get a large torx bit so I can take off the back cab panel and get to the wires. If that doesn't work, I'll try G-man's ground suggestion. I'll let everyone know what happens for future reference. Thank you guys for all your help.[/quote]

You were right on G-man. I bought a couple of PAC SNl - 1 ground loop isolators on e-bay for $13 each. They came in today and I just hooked them up. They worked like a champ. I would never guess that a slight difference in groud potential would make such a difference. The system sounds incredible.

Thanks again for your advice. I hope this post helps others with the same problem.
[quote name="Bongada"] [quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="G_Man"] [quote name="Bongada"]Has anyone out there installed a Z-1 with the audio running through power amps? I had my Z-1 installed in a standard 2006 F-250 truck sound system and everything worked fine. I now have removed it and have installed it in a 2005 F-250 that had a Kenwood head unit with 2 Diamond amps powering the front speakers and 2 12" sub woofers. I have checked the wiring over and over and I get this horrible load throbing noise as soon as the Z-1 unit boots up. The Diamond tech thought it be a ground issue but that appears to check out. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Tom[/quote]

Thanks guys
I was able to see that 2 speaker common leads back near the power amps were wired together. I'm off to Home Depot in the morning to get a large torx bit so I can take off the back cab panel and get to the wires. If that doesn't work, I'll try G-man's ground suggestion. I'll let everyone know what happens for future reference. Thank you guys for all your help.[/quote]

You were right on G-man. I bought a couple of PAC SNl - 1 ground loop isolators on e-bay for $13 each. They came in today and I just hooked them up. They worked like a champ. I would never guess that a slight difference in groud potential would make such a difference. The system sounds incredible.

Thanks again for your advice. I hope this post helps others with the same problem.[/quote]

Great! I'm glad it worked out OK.