AVIC411.com

CD-UB100 !!! Stay away from!!!

:evil::evil::evil:

Well, I think that I am going to be the first to do a report on this piece of garbage that pioneer is putting out for USB.

First let me give serious accolades to Crutchfield. The Sales rep was phenomenal and I had the unit ordered and on my front doorstep in less than 24 hours with standard UPS ground shipping. I do only live about 150 miles away from the warehouse but that’s another issue.

Anyway, I received the unit and was impressed that it had everything I needed to hook it up to my AVIC-D2. I already had the XM/NAV unit installed and swapped them out just for general testing purposes. This is where it begins to go downhill.

Since there are no screen shots or decent product literature on Pioneers website I was expecting to be able to hook this up with my nifty 160gb Passport HD from Western Digital and have the same screen displays as I do with a normal MP3 CD. Man was I wrong. It wasn’t until I actually had the unit installed and powered up that I was able to realize what a piece of crap this thing is. I will list my objections for ease of use:

1) There is no file list. Only a half empty screen with up/dn left/right arrows for directional control. There is a section of buttons numbered from 1 – 6 which are not used on the D2.

2) One has to memorize the folder number for every album and the track number for every song in the folder to be able to navigate the drive. The reason for this, is that the only on-screen display you have for title recognition is the first 8 characters of any given title (this includes folder, album, and track and that means only 8 characters. not 8 for the album and 8 for the title. To cycle thru the folders one has to use the multi-function knob or the up/dn arrows to go from 1 folder to the next, there is no jumping back to the root folder to select another album (again there is no display to let you know where you are or where you can go.

3) If you intend to hook up an external HD to this thing, don’t; the drive won’t last. There is no soft power down via the head unit. Even turning off the ignition results in an abrupt power removal from anything connected to this waste of money. If the drive is in a read mode it will crash the drive.

4) If you like to put a mixed CD of MP3’s into a player that only has play and stop. Or if you just like to be surprised at what song/album is next in line then this is the unit for you because that is all that you are going to get.

5) When they state limited use they are not exaggerating. As I stated before, I was expecting something similar to the CD display but this is about the farthest that you can get from that.

6) The owners manual had mentioned function buttons… Well they exist and it took me about 20 minutes to figure where they are and what they do. They are on the same menu as the setup and audio configuration you get when pressing the multi-function button in and they are labeled Function 1, Function 2 and so on. No indicator of what they do. Quite simply Function 1 is your pause button ( they couldn’t put this on the main display where your non-existent controls are?) , Function 2 is what the 8 characters are going to display, i.e. Folder/Track. Function 3 is scan on or off and Function 4 is what you want to repeat, (track, folder, all).

For the 20 minutes that I actually used this piece of S*&$T, It was frustrating, infuriating, and down right disappointing. You would think that with what Pioneer charges for these head units they could come up with something else that was actually worth our hard earned money. Needless to say I will be calling Crutchfield back in the AM to get a refund. Thank God for their 100% satisfaction guarantee. Please feel free to ask any questions, I will be more than happy to steer everyone away from this unit.

BTW… I have an AVIC-D1 that was recently upgraded to the D2 for this sole purpose (it sure was not for the updated maps).

I am sure that there a other questions that I could place the answer to here but at the moment I am so pissed off that I am forgetting a lot that needs to be covered. Again... Pls feel free to askany questions.[/b]

Welcome to the wonder ful world of external source. Something tells me that is meant for a pen drive. no moving parts, no need for a shut down command. Ever try hooking a cdib100 to a 4 year old pioneer radio? The interface is the same. In other words if the headunit recognizes something as an external source then your interface WILL suck.

Actually yes I did check the compat listing and yes the d2 is listed.I even went so far as to D/L the owners manual before ordering but as I stated in the opener you don't fully understand what you are getting until you have it powered up in front of you.