AVIC411.com

Why and how does the bypass work?

I'm not sure there is.

However, this is my most logical explanation about the bypass. Not 100% sure if its correct, but it seems pretty logical to me.

I'm pretty sure that the bypass disables the unit from using the GPS antenna and gyro sensors to detect whether or not the car is moving.

Usually the AVIC will first check the parking brake wire to see whether or not that is grounded. If it is, then at around 15-20 mph its internal gyros notice its moving and correspond that with the GPS antenna. It will then lock the unit.

The bypass stops it after the unit sees the parking brake wire is grounded.

personally i think pioneer makes it easy to bypass the unit on purpose because they realize that alotta people wouldnt buy it if they couldnt bypass it, so basically all they do is say if this pin (the mute wire put in the other hole) is grounded allow dvds to be played, navigation functions to work, ect.

if sportsfan were right, then your navi wouldnt work too well once you did the bypass. i think the bypass is actually a way for pioneer techs to have full control when testing and repairing units. we just use it for our own amusement

if sportsfan were right, then your navi wouldnt work too well once you did the bypass. i think the bypass is actually a way for pioneer techs to have full control when testing and repairing units. we just use it for our own amusement

Thats the reason claims for legal reasons, and it was probably the original reason for putting in a bypass, until they realized what a big factor it is in peoples buying decisions.

And what I'm saying is not that the unit ignores the gyros and sat antenna, I'm saying it just doesn't use those two to determine whether or not to lock out the unit.

I think it all comes down to liability. If you get into an accident because you were entering an address while driving, that opens up a door for a lawsuit against Pioneer.

However if you knowingly and unmistakenly alter the device to override the safety measures implemented by Pioneer, then you exonerate them. And in the Dx case, it'd be tough to prove you accidentally removed the mute wire, put it in the other hole, then grounded it along with the parking brake.

Alpine takes it a step further by making you use the foot brake and parking brake in a particular sequence - hence the electronic bypass.

Last time I checked, all the kenwoods needed was a ground connection for the parking brake.

• 2 weeks later...