AVIC411.com

Anyone see a hint of 'learning'??

Just curious. Ive read that the Z1 learns your driving habits, and starts offering routing based on your driving patterns. Has anyone experienced that to happen? I have not.

Have a few questions, tho....

1) Is it only learning your patterns while you are driving a route to a destination? Or is it noting your habits as you just do your everyday driving?

2) If it IS learning only while 'in-route'...does it forget what it learns if you cancel route?

I dont know about the rest of ya, but if I hit my destination, the Z1 doesnt just 'end' the route. It behaves as if you never got there...and once you drive away, it tries to steer you back to the destination as if you made a wrong turn. This will go on forever until you just 'cancel'. I have never ended a routing even tho it always tells me Im there!

Also, there are roads I take all the time that are out of the way, but avoid tons of traffic. the Z1 never seems to pick up on the fact that I drive these roads when it maps routes for me. Isnt it supposed to?

Odd...at best!

~Sh
I think I saw some learning. The first day it was installed, I had it plan my trip to work (a whole 9 miles) and it picked the weirdest way to go. I never go that way. I went my usual way and it re calculated a couple times to go the way I learned is the fastest. Well the second day I told it to plan my trip and it picked the same dumb route. Well after about a month with the unit (not routing me to work every day) I told it to route me to work and it picked the route I take every day. I think it might have learned without me using the routing fuction.
[quote name="hellmaster"]It would be cool to be able to ask a Pioneer Tech questions like this.[/quote]

Yeah it will also be nice when we will know if there is a update coming out soon to get these maps and etc worked out everyones complaining off. I don't own one so I don't know if that problem is for everyone.
Like Ducati said, I set work as my destination, the day I had it installed, and it gave me a funky way to get there. I went my usualy way, and it rerouted, following me, and when I returned home, I set Home as my destination. It sent me the way I drove out in the morning. So, yes, mine learned after just 1 trip.
Guest guest
I do agree with the others posting here, it does learn and it does not take many times either. I'm not a big fan, but I do have to say it is fairly intelligent also. I have some other nav gear that once you miss the instruction, they would insist you to u-turn, or insist on finding ways to use the calculated route. The Pioneer tends to figure out that you want to take a different way instead of the calculated route and will reroute you almost right away what to do next.
  • 2 months later...
It took until the third day to work for the Z1 to learn 99% of my route. I can go left or right out of my street and every day it want me to turn right but I turn left and then it recalculates and is pretty good. It will be interesting to see how many times I go left before it figures that out.
Mine most definitely learned! By the third trip...it quit using the route it wanted and started using my wife's perferred route to and from work. It will also use it anytime you hit "home" from the same general area.

By the way...it only learns when you have a route programmed. If you drive a route 10 times a day and never have the unit navigating for you, it will not learn your preferred route.