AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 antenna does not like heat?

I just got back from a weekend in Palm Springs (115 in the shade and I'm not kidding). As I left the city I found the Nav didn't work worth a damn. As I diagnosed it I found the system could only see one sat. and thought I was going 165mph. This really pissed me off because I was stuck in slow traffic :lol: .
I pulled over after 10-20 miles of this thumped on the antenna on the dash and slowly sat's began to return. Shut down and restarted the unit and a couple min later I had 7-8 sats again and it was fine. The problem didn't return but I didn't return to the heat either.

Anybody else have a similar problem?
Interesting. I have mine mounted on the dash too. I have not had any problems yet but I will keep an eye out for this as the Florida summer approaches. So far there have been a few days where the temperature was in the high 90's but nothing like 115.
[quote name="03Vic-HPP"]Havent had that problem, but my antenna is outside, your probably baking the poor thing, if its on the dash its like setting it under a magnifying glass in the sun....[/quote]

I have a fiberglass car so the magnetic antenna doesn't stick. :(
Mine is mounted under my dash, so I'm hoping it's protected from the heat. But one teen temps are very common here already this year and it's only going to get hotter...so we'll see I guess. But then again, the roof or trunk of your car gets a lot hotter than under my dash when it's sitting in the sun.

By the way...with the problems you had on Palm Springs....do you have your VSS hooked up?
[quote name="03Aviator"]Mine is mounted under my dash, so I'm hoping it's protected from the heat. But one teen temps are very common here already this year and it's only going to get hotter...so we'll see I guess. But then again, the roof or trunk of your car gets a lot hotter than under my dash when it's sitting in the sun.

By the way...with the problems you had on Palm Springs....do you have your VSS hooked up?[/quote]

I never bothered to hook up the VSS line. So far those that have and wrote about it made it look so painful to do I thought it was not worth it.
Remove wheel
Remove fender liner
cut into harness. ect....
Nobody reported finding a wire INSIDE the car to use yet.
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"] [quote name="03Aviator"]Mine is mounted under my dash, so I'm hoping it's protected from the heat. But one teen temps are very common here already this year and it's only going to get hotter...so we'll see I guess. But then again, the roof or trunk of your car gets a lot hotter than under my dash when it's sitting in the sun.

By the way...with the problems you had on Palm Springs....do you have your VSS hooked up?[/quote]

I never bothered to hook up the VSS line. So far those that have and wrote about it made it look so painful to do I thought it was not worth it.
Remove wheel
Remove fender liner
Nobody reported finding a wire INSIDE the car to use yet.[/quote]

Is this on your C6 Pulp? Does it have speed sensitive volume? I'll bet it does. Most of the Ford's do...and when they have that, there's a VSS wire right at the radio. There are also other places in the dash that will have that feed. It probably wouldn't hurt to get your hands on a wiring diagram for your car so you can locate just exactly what you need. You'll enjoy having the diagram anyway for any future use.

Is this on your C
Mine is mounted on the dash, exposed even when I've got the sun shade up, and I havne't had any issues; even in the FL sun. Then again, it hasn't been 115 outside, but I'll bet that it reaches that between the glass and the dash!

For Pulp: I drive a 2000 Audi and I had a VSS right in the radio harness. I'd be pretty willing to bet you do too. Check it out- it does help the accuracy of the NAV immensely.
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"] [quote name="03Aviator"]Mine is mounted under my dash, so I'm hoping it's protected from the heat. But one teen temps are very common here already this year and it's only going to get hotter...so we'll see I guess. But then again, the roof or trunk of your car gets a lot hotter than under my dash when it's sitting in the sun.

Remove wheel
Remove fender liner
Nobody reported finding a wire INSIDE the car to use yet.[/quote]

I had the same issue on a Navigator install. There was no mention of the Vss signal wire being inside the car in the service manual, but I managed to find it just from the wire color. It seems like it was gray with a black stripe. Most Ford trucks use the same color I believe. Find the big harness coming through the firewall, and then find the wire that matches the color of the Vss wire from the ECU. Then you can probe the wire with a DMM with a bargraph and either put the truck up on jackstands or drive it to look for the Vss pulse. I found it the first matching wire I tried.
[quote name="Anonymous"]
I had the same issue on a Navigator install. There was no mention of the Vss signal wire being inside the car in the service manual, but I managed to find it just from the wire color. It seems like it was gray with a black stripe. Most Ford trucks use the same color I believe. Find the big harness coming through the firewall, and then find the wire that matches the color of the Vss wire from the ECU. Then you can probe the wire with a DMM with a bargraph and either put the truck up on jackstands or drive it to look for the Vss pulse. I found it the first matching wire I tried.[/quote]

On you Navigator, the VSS wire is in one of the plugs to the factory radio. You didn't have to look any further than that.
Mine is mounted on the dash and I haven't had any issues thus far; although, average temperatures in VA only get around 92 degree or so. But I've been considering purchasing a sunshade to help alleviate to sun shining on the leather through out the day. Maybe I should consider getting one to help with the NAV antenna as well.

DW...