AVIC411.com

Where to mount antenna?

Ok guys. Here's the scoop on antenna placement. You do NOT have to have the GPS or XM outside the car. As a matter of fact, you don't even have to have them exposed! I have XM on my car and I installed the antenna under the dash by attaching it on top of a metal brace. There is no metal above the antenna. It works great.

I just installed the Z1 in my wife's Aviator. I'll be damned if I'm going to have the XM and GPS antennas exposed on her car. That's just an invitation to have something ripped off. On this car, there are two unbelievably great spots to mount antennas under the dash. The spots are on top of defroster ducting...one on each side of the dash opening for the unit. I took the metal plate for the GPS antenna and fixed it to the ducting with Velcro. I cut another steel plate for the XM antenna and fastened it with Velcro. (the Velcro also helps insulate the metal from heat from the defroster) Then I stuck the antennas on the metal plates. Both antennas are completely covered with the dash now and with the radio cover on the radio in the Aviator, there are absolutely no signs of what's in there. The reception?? PERFECT!! Both the GPS and XM meters are full strength. Before I resorted to installing one of these antennas outside the car or in plain view, try it under the dash or rear package tray first and check out your reception. Just make sure you mount it to metal, under a window, and have no metal above it. I think you'll find you will be surprised how well it works.
I've talked with "radio guys" who like stealth-mounting antennas INSIDE external non-metal door mirror housings. Another non-metal mounting point example: beneath the plastic/fiber hood of a hummer H1.