AVIC411.com

How bad is the navigation software in the Z1????

Terrific forum by the way as a starter. I am a newbie to this forum and I hope I am posting to the right location. I have a Porsche 2003 C4S and I am a week away from having the Z1 installed in this car along with the bluetooth and ipod features. The guy doing the install is great at it so no concerns there. My concern is reading all the posts slamming the navigation software. I have used various systems in boats and a Garmin 10 on my bluetooth Treo 650 and the navigation is terrific. Some of you have indicated that the Pioneer nav leaves alot to be desired. Is this really the case??? I would hate to spend all that money and get a bad system. I love the HD feature and the look of it but the nav is the reason for the purchase ( and to watch DVDs while driving of course). Any input would be appreciated. I am in Canada in Ontario if this helps.

Cheers.

The Dubemaster

I hate the navigation of the Z1. I called pioneer tech support once and complained about how horrible it was and his response was " we haven't had any complaints about it" I said, WELL HELL JUST GO TO AVIC 411.COM AND YOU CAN READ ALL YOU WANT. It will and it has always wanted to take me on the worst route it can find. It will get you to where you want to go but you can bet no matter what the settings are on it will be the longest in miles and time. I was hoping that the upgrade to a Z2 was going to change this problem but from what I read it will be the same.

i think the navi does suck. i've had all the eclipse models, always upgraded when new models came out and they were great. i switched to the z1 becase the add ons are much nicer. but the eclipse navi was way better. if navi is your main concern, go with the eclipse

I think its great.

I am into GPS navigation since the inception and let me tell you, there are $50.00 programs out there that put this program to shame.

Just yesterday and again today I programed in short routes, about ten miles or so and in both these cases the red line pointed to the proper location, but the routing let me into to a dead end street and led me back to where I came from. When I went in the proper direction, after a couple of hundreds yard it re-routed to the right address. I never had that with any other program or unit.

The navigation software in the Z1 is pretty bad. It usually rings about 300-400ft prior to you actually reaching your destination, so unless you know what to look for, you will be stuck in the general area looking for that address.

Maybe it's location specific, but in NJ and the tri-state area, everything I have used personally:

Chrysler 300C with factory nav

Acura MDX with factory nav

Tom Tom on a Palm Pilot

Garmin C330

Now the mapping system on my blackberry

They all seem to give me the same routes for the ones I have put in.

I haven't been all that upset with it. Nothing is perfect, but it always has gotten me there. Maybe there might have been a better way, but other nav systems I have used usually route me the exact same way. Maybe it's just the routes I have put in.

It depends on the area. I do a lot of traveling, and the Z1 is great for interstate travel. In some cities, it's flawless. It others, it's beyond horrible. I happen to live where it's horrible. Most of the time, it will take you 20-30 miles out of the way to get you to a location.

When I'm in Texas, it's almost always flawless, ditto for Florida, but in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Ohio, it's terrible in the areas I travel in.

It's nice that people in this forum are so helpful. Some forums slam newbies for stupid questions or what they consider being dumb. Your replies were great but it still sounds to me like the nav program on the Z1 sucks. I will look at it a little more closely. Has anyone had anyexperience with the new double dinn Kenwood?? It looks similar but without the hard drive.

I reallly do think it matters on where you are located. I am in california and it has worked PERFECT for me. In socal and in norcal, works without a hitch and no hickups.

Also for me, im about 40-60 ft from my location and it tells me your location is on the right/left

I am in CA also. Works great here except the occasional freeway exit that has been moved/redone in the last couple years. I also notice that it often tries to put me on the correct side of the road for where I am going. By that, I mean it will have me make three right turns around the block, or make a U-turn at a light, rather than just having me turn left across traffic. Clearly a safety issue but took me a while to get used to. Definitely more useful to me than the few portables I have tried, as I often use the POI and Vicinity search and the database is much more detailed and organized. (And better than my buddies new eclipse which lists a Korean Restaurant in my cul-de-sac.)

I think the answer is whether or not you've used a Garmin before. I have a Z1, but I still keep my Garmin StreetPilot handy. The main issue that I have with the Z1 is that is clumps address numbers together. So if you are trying to find a specific house on a residential street, it will take you to the street, but not to the house itself. Whereas my Garmin could practically guide you up the driveway.

I think the answer is whether or not you've used a Garmin before. I have a Z1, but I still keep my Garmin StreetPilot handy. The main issue that I have with the Z1 is that is clumps address numbers together. So if you are trying to find a specific house on a residential street, it will take you to the street, but not to the house itself. Whereas my Garmin could practically guide you up the driveway.

perfect scenario of where the Z1 fails. Sure its good enough to find a huge hotel because even when it rings early, who can miss that huge building. The issue is clear when you are trying to find a small address building.

I reallly do think it matters on where you are located. I am in california and it has worked PERFECT for me. In socal and in norcal, works without a hitch and no hickups.

Also for me, im about 40-60 ft from my location and it tells me your location is on the right/left

Ditto for me...I am in SoCal and no problems whatsoever.