AVIC411.com

problem getting clear audio with CD-BTB200

I got the D3 installed a couple of weeks ago with every accessory except the back-up camera. It's in a Porsche 911 convertible, so the camera seemed overkill (though I was tempted...). The bluetooth connection works OK, but the voice quality that people hear is terrible! It sounds fine when I'm standing still, but after 20 MPH, it is almost useless. Meanwhile, I can hear them clearly at 70+ MPH. I had the mic by the rear view mirror, then moved it down to the center of the console. Both locations give the same result. And yes, the top is up! It doesn't seem to be engine noise, because I can rev it up to 5K standing still and it's still OK on the other end. Just to be sure, I recorded voicemails and played them back. It's really bad. I've used a Plantronics bluetooth headset in the same car and the sound quality both directions is fine. Any suggestions about mic placement or anything else would be great. Thanks.

• 9 months later...
Guest astrobill

Dude:

I originally had NON-USABLE sound from the BTB200 until I fixed two mistakes my idiot installer made. First, make sure you didn't cut, splice, or otherwise nick the original factory microphone and it's cable from the 1/8" jack all the way to the microphone. Second, where you put the BTB200 can be important. Don't mount it near other electronics, including the AVIC itself. My idiot installer put it RIGHT UNDERNEATH the head unit, and all the RF interference was causing some of the sound problems.

Once I replaced the mic (which my idiot installer spliced) and relocated the BTB200, the sound quality became quite good. I have the mic hidden in the ceiling panel for my reading lights, which in my car has some air slots for sound to pass through.

- Astrobill

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem in my altima. My callers complain that it sounds really windy and that there is an echo. I have tried grounding the bluetooth seperately but it didn't help. I guess I'll try moving it and then if that doesn't work I'll try rechecking the mic wire. I have the mic mounted through a small hole I cut through the headliner by the visor. I have the bluetooth behind the passenger kickplate under the dash. Any other suggestions?

The mic needs space behind it. By mounting it in the headliner, you are blocking the rear mics that it uses for noise cancellation

I'm having the same problem in my altima. My callers complain that it sounds really windy and that there is an echo. I have tried grounding the bluetooth seperately but it didn't help. I guess I'll try moving it and then if that doesn't work I'll try rechecking the mic wire. I have the mic mounted through a small hole I cut through the headliner by the visor. I have the bluetooth behind the passenger kickplate under the dash. Any other suggestions?

Since I already had a hole cut through the headliner, I put the large piece of the mic clip in the headliner and put the small piece that actually holds the mic through the headliner. That way the mic is no longer in the headliner and I still use the existing hole. Looks pretty good.

The mic needs space behind it. By mounting it in the dash, you are blocking the rear mics that it uses for noise cancellation

Where did you move it to? I have mine in the dash piece to the left of the D3

:D I know... I read your other post... that's why I asked! I wasn't aware it worked like that (with this one)... thanks for sharing! :)

but I already have the nice little hole in the dash piece... I guess if I decide to change it... I'll have to get another dash piece :(