AVIC411.com

XM Radio - I thought D3 was XM ready?

By "XM ready" they mean it has the capability to have XM, but does not come stock. Just liek when TVs say HD tuner ready, or when other radios say bluetooth ready and ipod ready.

Yes you will have to buy another external unit, which is easy, because they only make one that is meant to work directly with the unit. Go to their website and hit accessories when you are viewing the D3 page. You cant miss it.

Yeah, I just called and also looked on their site. They actually make two different units. One is just XM Radio and the other is XM Radio and XM Nav Traffic combined. I'm looking for the Nav Traffic option online now. I'm a little upset about having to run another antenna though. I wish nav and xm could just work off the same antenna. I'm very limited on space and routing options. Any idea if I can put the two antennas side by side or do they have to be a certain distance away from eachother?

~Keith

For best reception, put your xm antenna on the roof.

I thought that is where all GPS antennas have to go? That's where I already have my navi antenna mounted. I have te wiring underneath the weather stripping on my dirvers side t-top. I was going to run the XM Nav Traffic antenna the same way but on the passenger side. Then have the two antenna meet eachother side by side in the middle of the roof right behind the "T". Would that be sufficient or do I need to distance the two antennas a certain amount to get optimal reception?

~Keith

I thought that is where all GPS antennas have to go? That's where I already have my navi antenna mounted. I have te wiring underneath the weather stripping on my dirvers side t-top. I was going to run the XM Nav Traffic antenna the same way but on the passenger side. Then have the two antenna meet eachother side by side in the middle of the roof right behind the "T". Would that be sufficient or do I need to distance the two antennas a certain amount to get optimal reception?

~Keith

You don't necessarily need your GPS antenna to be on your roof. Most have chosen to mount their antennas in their dash/on top of their dash. I have mind mounted within my dash and I get a good signal. I have only one antenna on my roof; my XM one.

~Keith

You don't necessarily need your GPS antenna to be on your roof. Most have chosen to mount their antennas in their dash/on top of their dash. I have mind mounted within my dash and I get a good signal. I have only one antenna on my roof; my XM one.

Well this is good news... maybe I will just place my navi antenna inbetween my roof behind the t-top and my headliner. This way it is still stuck to the metal roof. I'm sure it being upside down shouldn't make any difference right?

~Keith

Ahhh, I gotcha. I just thought it would use the car as a receiver and wouldn't make a difference so long as it is mounted on metal. Well, I guess I'll just leave it where it is and then call pioneer to see if the two antenns can be mounted next to eachother... Thanks for all your help with this!

~Keith