AVIC411.com

replacing splice connectors/t-taps

Alright heres the deal. I'm gonna be pulling out my D3 to redo some of my wiring. But the thing is i used "splice connectors" to tap into my stock amp turn on wire and my VSS wire. I'm gonna have to remove these taps to pull the metra and pioneer harness out of my car.

The only thing i'm worried about is when i remove the taps are'nt my factory wires gonna be barely holding together since they were crimped/cut by the splice connectors..? i'm gonna be putting these splice connectors back onto the stock wiring once i'm done redoing my connections from the pioneer harness to the metra harness. will the splice connectors be able to once again splice into the same spot on the stock wiring were they where?

i'm worried that i'm gonna have to solder my stock wire to back together after removing the splice connector... then once again splice into a new spot on the stock wire when i'm ready to put the D3 back in. I wanted to avoid hacking up my factory wiring as much as possible...

Oh ok, i was assuming when i removied the taps the wire would basically be severed, maybe hanging on just by just one string of metal...

so i guess i'll be able to snap a new tap right onto the old spot

You SHOULD be able to do this, however sometimes they won't make a good connection, and you have to tape up the old spot, and move the taps farther down the wire a little

yeah, those are scotch locks. get rid of them. they suck. over time they start losing connection. they're the worst connectors you can get

So what should i use instead? where stores can i find t-taps?

i dont want to solder my stock wiring since i want to be able to go back to stock easily.

huh?

solder the wires from the deck harness to the factory harness adapter... its plug-and-play

That's what I do, as a matter of fact, I will solder the radio harness to the "kit" harness usually the night before, then when I get ready to install it, it is a matter of simply plugging it in.