AVIC411.com

What type is the Avic D3 GPS Connector?

I'm trying to find out what type of connector the GPS antenna uses to connect to the Avic D3. I'm going to be using my OEM GPS antenna and I can get a cable with an SMB (I think this is the right one) connector or with a FARKA connector. Does any one know what is on the Avic? Or if any one has some close up pictures of the back that would help to. Thanks!

I don't remeber if I tried a straight smb connector, we only had 90 degree ones at the dealer.

That cable there is insteresting.. I think I have a 90 in my pile of possible wires in my truck, as soon as I get my A3 back I'll check the 90 degree one and see if it would work if it was not a 90.. If so then that straight cable may work

what kind of car do you have?

I don't remeber if I tried a straight smb connector, we only had 90 degree ones at the dealer.

That cable there is insteresting.. I think I have a 90 in my pile of possible wires in my truck, as soon as I get my A3 back I'll check the 90 degree one and see if it would work if it was not a 90.. If so then that straight cable may work

what kind of car do you have?

I might just buy it and see if it works. I need one for the XM tuner anyway. Um I have an 04.5 Audi A4 3.0q :-D

FAKRA style connectors are SMB connectors with a plastic shell around them. This plastic shell is for keying purposes (that is, so u dont stick something into the wrong socket.) You can REMOVE the plastic FAKRA connector to reveal the standard male/female SMB connector. There seems to be a lot of confusioin about it.

As far as D3's GPS socket, that is a totally different animal. It does not mate to SMB connectors, unfortunately, I've tried. I haven't fully looked into exactly what connector it uses, but one solution is just like dummptyhummpty said, to cut off the GPS antenna that came with the D3 and splice the cable with a different one. Its just coax, after all.

The cable in the link you guys saw has SMB connectors on both ends. It can be used as an extension, but it's nothing special. Again, FAKRA SMB connectors are not called "FAKRA SMB" for nothing, it means SMB (aka SubMiniature version B) wrapped around a plastic FAKRA casing. That's it.

I personally would rather make my own cable than buy extensions. That way, the installation is the cleanest. Give TechToolSupply.com a visit. They sell miniature coax that is perfect for in-car installations. They also sell SMB connectors that you can crimp yourself, although due to their high price ($10 each,) you gotta give them a call to order them. Talk to a guy named Brett and say that Dimitry sent you, he'll hook you up.

In regards to the extension, on my carI need to get an extension anyway since the leads off the factory gps ant end by the tailights.. I need to get 5ft forward. Vw/Audi sell the cable with ends for about 20 bucks in various lengths. If you only have to splice one end and locate connectors all the better.

As for the actual pin portion of the connector... I can show you about 10 different ends that all come in identical outer plastic housings from vw/audi.. so no they are not all the same.

the smb style one happens to be the closest but all we had at work was the 90degree ones so they did not reach in. so I could never confirm that it would actually connect.

FAKRA style connectors are SMB connectors with a plastic shell around them. This plastic shell is for keying purposes (that is, so u dont stick something into the wrong socket.) You can REMOVE the plastic FAKRA connector to reveal the standard male/female SMB connector. There seems to be a lot of confusioin about it.

As far as D3's GPS socket, that is a totally different animal. It does not mate to SMB connectors, unfortunately, I've tried. I haven't fully looked into exactly what connector it uses, but one solution is just like dummptyhummpty said, to cut off the GPS antenna that came with the D3 and splice the cable with a different one. Its just coax, after all.

The cable in the link you guys saw has SMB connectors on both ends. It can be used as an extension, but it's nothing special. Again, FAKRA SMB connectors are not called "FAKRA SMB" for nothing, it means SMB (aka SubMiniature version B) wrapped around a plastic FAKRA casing. That's it.

I personally would rather make my own cable than buy extensions. That way, the installation is the cleanest. Give TechToolSupply.com a visit. They sell miniature coax that is perfect for in-car installations. They also sell SMB connectors that you can crimp yourself, although due to their high price ($10 each,) you gotta give them a call to order them. Talk to a guy named Brett and say that Dimitry sent you, he'll hook you up.

Thanks for the info. The cable I bought is actually the factory GPS cable. There is a jack in the rear roof from the OEM GPS/Sat Antenna and if your car comes with GPS they use this cable to route it up front. My car did not have GPS so I'm going to use this cable. I figure I have a GPS Antenna, why not use it.