AVIC411.com

Weird.. CD's don't read but DVD's Do...

Ok I have an AVIC-N1 with original software v1.2. Today all of a sudden it stop reading Music CD's (Original or backups) but it continues to read Original or Backup DVD's including the NAV DVD. I tried resetting the Head unit and the brain unit but still the same problem. I even went as far as to reset the FIRMWARE by doing the secret menu force write, etc..

When I insert a CD and it says "Reading Format" and stays there for a while. After a good minute or two it shows a message Non-Playable disk. But yet I can put a DVD in the drive and it reads it with no problem. Anyone else experience this and I thought it was the same lense it uses to read a DVD or CD?? Any help is appriciated...

Thanks!!!

My guess is the optical block is going bad.

I believe you are right about it being the same lens, but CD and DVD require different wavelengths for reading. CD is near infrared, DVD is red. There are separate laser diodes inside the optical block, and it sounds like the one for CD playback may be worn out.

I think it may be possible to recalibrate it and hopefully squeeze more life out of it. I'll look into it.

GnatGoSplat thanks.. Well any info that you get is good enough for me!!Would it be cheaper for me to replace the entire DVD/CD drive in the HU unit insteasd of paying pioneer $200 do do it?? Also, where can I get the part if possible at all??

Well, post any info on recalibrating and if anyone else know where I can get parts for the Avic-N1 so I can start working on it. It S*cks not being able to listen to CD's but I think paying $200 to get a cd/dvd drive replace is a bit steep.. What do you guys thinkg???