AVIC411.com

Need HELP with Avic Z1 INSTALL in Nashville, TN ! $$$

Hey everyone,

I've been calling around getting quotes on getting my Avic Z1 with Bluetooth module, iPod module and backup camera installed in my 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid, and I'm blown away by the price quotes ($300-$450 before tax!).

Anyone know of any places in or around Nashville, TN that can install for cheaper? I wish I knew how to do it myself, cuz it looks like I could save butt-loads of money, but I've never even installed a simple single-din cd player so I wouldn't want to try.

If anyone in this area knows how to install these units, I'm willing to pay decent money, as long as I can save a few bucks here and there.

I'm open to any advice you guys have. Should I try it myself? Should I call other places for quotes (i've only called major retailers... Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.). Are these prices reasonable, or am I getting ripped off?

Thanks in advance.

Quite honestly, the price range you're being quoted is not outrageous. If an installer knows what they're doing and they take the time to do a clean, un-cluttered install, it will take some time and the price is (IMHO) justified.

Some people like the challenge of doing an install even if they've never done it before. If you're willing to take the time and potential risk of messing your car up, go for it. Even though I'm very technically computer literate, I don't know jack s**t about tinkering with a car or its' electronics. I suppose I could have figured it out, but I really don't have the time. So I had mine installed by a professional.

My $0.02.

Where'd you buy your AVIC? Crutchfield? If so, you should have received the Master Sheets with you order and it will show you exactly what to do. If you didn't buy from Crutchfield, you can still buy the Master Sheets for about $5 and you can get them instantly in a PDF. Aside from that, all you really need to buy is the wiring harness and black tape or connectors. The Master Sheets will show you how to take your dash apart and everything else to include speaker replacement. Good Luck!

Thanks for your replies! Another question I had was if anyone has successfully installed a Rear View Backup Camera in a Civic Hybrid. It seems like it would be tricky, because the Hybrid Battery is located between the trunk space and the back seats. Feeding the wire through seems like it'd be a daunting task. Plus, I don't know if I trust any installer to do this without messing up the battery in any way. If the battery gets damaged it could cost around $4,000-$5,000 to replace!!!

Should I just not even take the risk and not get a camera installed, or is it completely safe and should be a fairly simple process?

price sounds reasonable. if you came into my shop you would pay $125 for the z1 and $50 for the ipod (i dont charge for the bluetooth install if you do it at the same time). plus parts/kits.

fun part is the backup cam. last hybrid i did got a lipstick cam flushed into the trunk lid above the liscense plate. wasnt fun but it worked wonderfully. $200 to install that iirc.

sooooo price sounds about right but honestly care more about the installer doing the work than the amount you're being charged.

Yeah, good point. To illustrate that point, I found a little car audio shop in kind of a shady part of Nashville. The entire store was probably about 800 square feet, and half of it was devoted to selling grills for cadillacs and impalas. The installer there was a short fat middle-aged mexican guy with a stained wife-beater on and could hardly speak a lick of english. They would charge me $150 total, parts and labor. Great deal, but I think that I would gladly pay double that price to ensure that it's going to be installed well, with no damage to my car.

You said you installed a backup cam on a hybrid. Was that tough? I've been really hesitant to get one installed on my hybrid, because the hybrid battery rests between the trunk and the back seats and if it is messed up during install, it could cost me between $3,000-$5,000 to get replaced! :shock: Was the hybrid you worked on the same way with the battery location? If so, was the wiring hard to accomplish with the cam?

its super easy to get wiring around the battery pack. if you remove the lower seat cushion and unbolt the passenger side of the seat back you can easily pass wiring through to the trunk. then just continue it up to the trunk lid if that is where you are placing your camera. you would have to try real hard to damage the battery pack imo.