AVIC411.com

2006 Audi A4 VSS Question. CAN-BUS required?

I'm getting a bunch of conflicting info from different sources. Some say my 2006 A4 uses a regular analog speed pulse for VSS that I can tap directly into. Others say that the 06 B7 A4 requires a CAN-BUS adapter to convert my speed sense into an analog pulse for my Z2.

Can anyone help? I'm installing this week and I need to get this right! Thanks!

I just installed a D-3 in my A4 two days ago. I used the PAC SWI-X and SWI-PS. The SWI-X provided the acc wire for my Avic as my factory harness didn't have it. I found the speed sensor wire down by the driver's side kick pannel. Follow this guide for more info. It might be different on the B7 (your car) so maybe ask around at www.navplus.us. I still have to tap the illumination wire which according to this, is behind the insturment cluster. I couldn't find the reverse wire so I gave up on that. Good luck!

• 5 months later...
Guest astrobill

I have the AVIC-D3 installed in my 2008 Audi A4...works pretty well, including steering wheel controls. Here's what my guy needed for my install:

Pioneer AVIC-D3

Metra MET40EU55 antenna adapter (for FM...can't seem to get AM to work)

Metra 99-9102 faceplate kit

Steering Wheel Control + Nav Pulse equipment OPTION #1:

Soundgate CANPULSE-4 unit

Soundgate CAN45PIO Steering Wheel Interface Cable (all steering controls work except the MODE button on the wheel, which doesn't change the AV Source at all)

Steering Wheel + Nav Pulse OPTION #2:

PAC SWI-CAN + SWI-PS (works a little better, according to AVIC411.com postings)

Optional:

Pioneer's CD-BTB200 Bluetooth Adapter

Pioneer's XM satellite radio adapter

Pioneer 's iPod cable for the AVIC